Goodbye to the Camaro

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Lowend, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

What’s sad is I’m 6’4” 300#,I sat in the Vette, I could see better and was more comfortable than the Camaro.

Though I wouldn’t buy either one.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

The 5th and 6th gen cars even though they kept the look of the car, it’s sitting on a different chassis meaning different suspension parts. If you put the two cars side by side they are obviously different and the 6th gen is a smaller car.

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  3. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

Back when I had my 2012 SS at the dealer, a new 2016 pulled in behind it. The hoodline on the 6th gen was lower than the 5th, which gave a slightly better forward view. Haven't test drove a 6th gen yet, so no idea on how the side and rear views were. It will be sad to see it go (again), maybe this may bring about a better car later on. Or not, it is GM after all.

4. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I dont see it being discontinued myself. I see a ton of them everywhere.

The Champ likes this.
  5. xten

xten Veteran Member

IMO, FCA and Furd did a better job in the retro category than GM. A new Challenger looks like an old Challenger if that's what you're looking for. GM could have done a better job if that was their objective. As I said, I'm warming up to them, but not because I like the styling. I must be just getting used to seeing them, and I see a lot of them. The name on them is just a badge to me.

budro6968 likes this.
  6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

This is coming from a Mustang owner. Thanks, bud...;)

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

That's just it. It wasn't their objective. Once you go totally retro, you have nowhere to go.

The logical progression for the Mustang is the 4 cylinder 74 Pinto/Mustang - which no one ever wanted.

[​IMG]

The new Challenger hasn't really changed much in 11 years. To me, the new one doesn't look nearly as good as the old one did - and it's too big and chunky. Even though it has less ground clearance, it sits taller. Look at that huge slab of a door...

[​IMG]

The new one is about 7 inches longer, 5 - 7 inches taller and about a 1,000 pounds heavier than the big V8 '70 version.

8. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

^ Look at the differences in the size of the tires and rims. Those big rims and thin tires on the 2008 look kinda of cartoonish to me.

IDK, the current Challenger looks pretty bloated.

The Champ likes this.
  9. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

everything is bloated now, all driven by safety standards

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Because it is.

In general wheels and tires of gotten bigger because the belt line is higher and the sides of cars have changed because of crash standards. if you put 15" wheels on one the proportions look all funny. You'd see all the sheet metal and these little tiny tires on it all by proportions.

Proportions are the same reason 20" tires look stupid on old cars because their oversized. But on a modern car they fit proportionately.

BillyDean7173 likes this.