Got a free LT1... It's spun out

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Da_Raabi, Oct 19, 2020.

1. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

JMO
    reverse-cooling ain't gonna solve these non-computerized, hi-comp woes.

This is an exercise in how kits don't necessarily fit every bill.

what to do to Properly reduce compression? ... spend more $ for different pistons with a larger dish volume.

Perhaps a different machine shop that's more engaged-careful w/ your quench-compression height-deck height-dome volume-parts choices v. requirements?

before spending another dime or minute, suggest triple-verify that block will clean up for a correct fit with std bore, main bearing & cam bearing longitudinal alignments, lifter bores are sized & align OK.
    YMMV

need-for-speed likes this.
  2. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

The block is back off to the machinist. I got the rotating assembly installed and measured the "in the hole", stripped it back down and have it out for decking and a final clean.

In the meantime, I'm curious about the rest of my drivetrain. I've been told to expect around 400-450 crank horsepower from this setup. Apparently it will strongly depend on how well the heads flow. Anyway, erring on the high side for safety, would the stock driveshaft handle this? The rear end was rebuilt with stock axles, an eaton posi, and (if I remember the brand right) Yukon 3.73 gears. I rebuilt the TH350 completely, made sure all the tolerances were tight, rollerized pretty much everything possible, did a fifth direct clutch mod, shift kit etc etc. It should be pretty beefy.

I'm just curious if this drivetrain will be able to handle the new motor. Thoughts?

3. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't sweat the drivetrain. That 8.5 will take a bunch of abuse at higher horsepower levels than you will be throwing at it. Id consider adding a transmission temperature gauge and a decent cooler if you don't have one already.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Drivetrain stress is all about traction.
    Slicks or drag radials on a sticky track will stress the drivetrain far more than standard radials on the street.
    The drivetrain components only see as much torque as the tires can hold. (For the most part.)
    Anything more just makes tire smoke.

If you're planning on racing and hard launches, welding the axle tubes is a real good idea.

5. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

I've got Nitto cheater slicks on the car right now. I don't plan a heck of a lot of track time, but it might happen. I did get the axle tubes welded when I rebuilt the diff, so that's good.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. When I was told the potential for this motor I got a bit concerned!

6. need-for-speed

need-for-speed Veteran Member

did you upgrade the motor mounts? (I need to learn more about this myself - what the options are)

7. need-for-speed

I pulled a 3.42 posi rear end out of a '78 Z-28 and installed it in my '79 (which was originally a 305 girlie car LOL). Do you think that is an 8.5 ?

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Yes. That's all that came in those cars after 71 or so. Very tough diff.

sooner likes this.
  9. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

My biggest concern is the driveshaft. Is that ok for these power levels?

10. need-for-speed

Good!! Thanks.