Got a freebie!!! What is this thing?

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by Natedawg, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Natedawg

Natedawg New Member

Hi everyone. In looking for a project car, I started looking around and started to take a liking to the early 2nd gen camaros. Ironically, my neighbor had a car in his driveway under a tarp for the last 11 years since I moved into the neighborhood that I never really thought about. After my new found interest in these cars, I noticed it looked a lot like an early 2nd gen. I stopped by and asked him if I could look at the car for fun and it turns out that it was a 1970 camaro that he said was an RS/SS, but the car was pretty much a shell, no engine, tranny, rearend, or interior. He bought it for body parts to use on his 1970 Z28 in his garage, buried under boxes for over a decade as well. Anyway, the guy ends up giving me the camaro RS/SS! It will be a ton of work but I love that kind of stuff! I have no idea how to indentify what it really is though. The front end looks correct to line up with an RS, but the grill is busted out and the whole thing has had most of the paint stripped off. Is there any way to figure out what engine/tranny this thing had in it?

Attached Files:

budro6968 likes this.
  2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

On an LA built car, the VIN and Cowl tag don't tell you anything about the engine and tranny. As you stated, the front end will ID the RS package. For the rest of the car you need to do some detective work. What rear end is under the car? An SS or a Z28 would have a 12 bolt rear. Other Camaros got a 10 bolt. Does the car have a rear swaybar? Does it have a clutch pedal and linkage? Answers to some of these questions might help you know more about what it originally was.

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Got a freebie, what is this thing?.....I'd say it was a nice gift!

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

What a deal. Don't tease. Show us more pic's. I got a 70 Doge Dart when I was in H/S. The guy said it had the E-Brake stuck and could not start it or back it out of his garage. Had a 318 Auto trans. I got it running in 10 mins and managed to get it backed out. He said if I got it out it was mine free. That was one of the cars that never got registered and all the kids in the neighborhood took turns cruising and doing burn outs. Broke a few motor mounts too. What a blast.

71RSLS likes this.
  6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's a V8 car built in June of '70 in Van Nuys California.
    Originally painted Daytona Yellow (51) with Black Custom Cloth interior (713).

A few more pics of the exterior might help identify it as a true RS but it sounds like everything identifying it as an SS is missing.
    If it had A/C... It wasn't a Z28.

7. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Nice gift. We like pics. That can also help identify it. I believe the tail panel around the taillights should be black if it was a big block car.

8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

If that dash rust is any indication, lots of work ahead. Where are you located? If in the rust belt check out those rear frames and floors. Might still be a parts car, but an RS is a good start if not too far gone.

9. Natedawg

Natedawg New Member

I honestly haven't had much time to look at the car at all, but I can't complain regardless. It would be fun to find out if it actually had a big block in it. There is definitely a lot of rust... I have always wanted to get into learning bodywork, this will be a great learning experience if nothing else. Oh, did I mention there isn't any glass on the car? I will be able to have time later today to get a better look and take pics. I might not have time to roll the car across the street until next week. Not much to use for parts out of this, it's mostly a shell. I'm located in Independence, OR by the way.

10. Natedawg

Natedawg New Member

Hey, I was wrong! The only broken glass is the windshield. Tons of rust, nothing that a few gallons of bondo won't fix. As far as identification, can you tell by the hole pattern on the right fender what emblem was supposed to be there? I see a rear sway bar. No A/C.

Attached Files: