Got a freebie!!! What is this thing?

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by Natedawg, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Natedawg

Natedawg New Member

Thanks 71RSLS, Is there any way to know what emblems/badges fit these holes? Others have pointed out some inconsistencies as well, such as the standard wipers instead of the hide away wipers, as well as the standard tail lights. I assume that the standard wipers will conclusively rule out an SS? Tail lights also rule out an RS for sure? What about the interior? Did the horse shoe shifter come with the standard model? Thanks everyone for the input so far! I've tried some googling and looking at pics, but I haven't found a totally comprehensive guide on figuring this out since the VIN and trim tag don't tell me anything regarding SS or RS.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Both SS and RS should have hideaway wipers. The dual ring tail lights were a part of RS, but also available on non-RS cars if exterior trim group was ordered. Interior will not really tell you much as all interior options were available separately. Horseshoe shifter was on all automatic equipped cars with floor console. Without console, the car would have had column shift.
    Look carefully through the interior or what is still there. You might find a build sheet that would give you all the information you want.

3. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

On the emblems, I'm almost certain those are rally sport emblem holes. They're the only ones that long that would require 4 straight holes inline like that. You can't really go off the tail lights because anyone could have swapped them out over the years. (But Gary is right on the trim package info) It could have had the dual ring tail lights new. A lot of things got swapped on these cars over the years. Especially the higher end shiny stuff. I did a bit of research a while back trying to figure out how to differentiate between a RS and a RS/SS. There were a lot of differences that I wasn't aware of.

I've heard guys say they have found build sheets under the rear seat bottom, on top of the gas tank, below the package tray, and one under the carpet below the driver's seat. I didn't find any in my car. I was trying to verify if mine was a true RS. It has everything it is supposed to and all the paint chips match to the original paint color so I'm calling it good. Haha

4. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Do this.

5. Natedawg

Natedawg New Member

Thanks guys, I need to go through the car more thoroughly when I have more time next week. Judging by the condition of the car, I doubt I will find a build sheet unless is attached the underside of the dash. I will let you know if I find anything significant.

6. 74BIBELOT

74BIBELOT Veteran Member

69E87FC4-DC86-430C-8736-654C781FD284.jpeg could be these emblems?ug