Got my 69 Z28 certified by Jerry MacNeish

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by llskis, Sep 4, 2009.

1. 70COPO

70COPO Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

So he does not put in writing that if the car or it's parts are later determined to be incorrect, not original, forged, or faked.... that he would back up the certification with continued support up to and including participation in a legal proceeding?. (A likely outcome today in an originality dispute where big money has traded hands for a car)

IMO....If his certification plainly states that the purchaser of his service has his continued support should the need arise-then such a certification has real teeth and is well worth the money.

2. TDWZ28

TDWZ28 Veteran Member

Man, I don't know about all that. I can't speak for anyone except myself. I put a link to his site in an earlier post. Just give him a call and ask him. When I called him, he was pretty easy to talk to and answered any questions I had.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Since all new Camaros are built in the Shwa, it'll have paperwork available in the future. Remember too that if you have a Chevelle that was built in the Shwa and shipped to the US, it will have Canadian paperwork available to you.

4. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I agree, If it were my car I would rather have the Legends certification. That to me is the “Holy Grail”

5. dkatap

dkatap Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Does a Legends certification verify that the car has it's original "born with" drivetrain intact? Can a car with a restoration engine, or wrong transmission still score high enough to be awarded a Legends certification? Maybe one of the judges could clarify this.

6. 69LM1

69LM1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The guys here are great as well! I'd say if you have something rare get both! As a bonus most of the guys here will give you there opinion free. You can never have too many good things said about a car you are selling or buying.

If you should ever need it though, Jerry is a certified court recognized expert witness.

I bet Chucks got a few cool stories as well! :)

Rich

7. 70COPO

70COPO Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Hypothetical:

Old Chevy. Certified as original. Cost $1500.00

Appraiser certifies the engine as ligit and certifies the car as having the original "born with motor". Car is soon sold for a premium with the appraiser's paper. New owner soon has motor trouble and tears the engine down. Centerline of the crank to the deck is measured and the measurement reveals a previous expert decking and the restamp job with perfect broach mark recreation.

New owner then promptly sues the previous owner.

So...Where does this leave the expert witness that just certified the car??

8. THNDER

THNDER Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Legends 2nd Gen Judging

I looked up the guide lines we currently use for legends judging, and this is how it reads...
    ENGINE BLOCK 250 posible points. Originality 200 pts Condition 50 pts.
    Full credit for correct matching VIN with correct assembly code,casting number and casting date.
    "CE" replacement blocks will recieve 80% credit,90% credit with warranty paperwork.

CARS WITH TAMPERED ENGINE PADS OR CASTING NUMBERS WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.

Now if I may add my own comments here,Jerry Mcneish certification, and Legends class judging are two completly different things. I, nor any of the other judges, nor the ACA, nor Carlisle events implies that we are "PROFESSIONALLY CERTIFYING" These vehicles. This is a "HOBBY" for me, which I very much enjoy, and have no intension of ruining it with business. If you want a car Professionally certified, and have that certification hold up in court, then Jerry is your man. We judges(Jerry M,. as well, he is a first gen legends judge) do the Carlisle thing, for the love of the hobby, and the love of the cars...THATS IT!!! Just wanted to point out the whole apples to apples, and oranges to oranges thing.

9. dkatap

dkatap Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mike, thanks for clarifying the legends guidelines. Your explanation of the difference between having a car certified and having it judged is very well stated also.
    The time and commitment that you and the other judges give to this hobby is very much appreciated by many. Thanks!

Dennis

10. TX70Z28

TX70Z28 New Member

That's my question as well. I assume that it is not a secret as to what Jerry charges to certify a car. I realize that the costs vary based on whether he is able to schedule another car(s) on the same trip, but his services have a set price, correct?