Got the call. Back to work-temporarily

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by cali cruzer, May 22, 2020.

1. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

So I got the call that our store is opening back up on the 28TH.
    Not thrilled about it because it is only temporary. I worked in commercial auto parts for Pep Boys 12.5 years. The commercial dept. has been closed permanently. Retail is going to be closed after they get rid of available retail products. End business will be service centers only.
    They want to open and have us come back to sell off what is on the retail floor.
    Hard parts have already been pulled and shipped off.
    They have us by the balls. Have to go back or you will be listed as quitting your job.
    No unemployment and no job if listed as quitting.
    I feel like we're going to be used like slave labor to get what they want until they are done with us. Then, they lay you off after a month or two and give you the link for unemployment filing....have a nice life.
    There was a mention of "possible" severance pay to some associates. No details though.
    I'm not upset that I'm losing money by going back. I'm upset because they kept us in the dark with no updates for almost 2 months like it was a black ops. Now I'm supposed to be happy that I get to go to work knowing it's temporary because the store is closing....:mad:

chevyJeff1 likes this.
  2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just kiss the ring and be happy, right? That's jacked. I worked for the Boys as a Foreman back in 88-89 and they didn't treat us any better back the either. Sorry to hear all of this Jeff.

cali cruzer likes this.
  3. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Good luck.

4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If they are not being safe, then call the local OSHA office, and tell them they have violations , don't use your name.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sorry to hear this. That's cold, but seems to be typical anymore. Do they have any connection to Auto Plus? It seems when I've ordered things from them, sometimes I thought I heard them mention they had to go to Pep Boys to pick it up.

6. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

That Stinks!With the hard parts gone what do they have to sell wipers and air fresheners?? Best of luck in something better! Steve!!

7. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

Yes. Auto Plus was combined with Pep Boys a few years ago. We answered the commercial lines as Auto Plus even though the store was Pep Boys.
    Our name badges didn't say Pep Boys. They said Auto Plus. My current store was a mini hub/warehouse location so lots of hard parts and a smaller retail footprint.

8. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Sorry to hear about your news.

9. xten

xten Veteran Member

Auto plus is about a half mile from me. Pep Boys is a couple miles, still close. When Pep Boys opened it had a huge retail area. All but gone now, so they must have converted to something like your current store.
    I hope you find something better and get severance.

10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Do like I did when the dealership I worked at was closing the same way. Most of us worked slow as molasses and when management started bitching all we told them was go ahead and fire us, you will hear from our lawyers.

cali cruzer and dave@ztech like this.