Got the call. Back to work-temporarily

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by cali cruzer, May 22, 2020.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Man when Autonaion shut down it's used car mega stores we were all pulled into a room with armed security and told too bad so sad you all fired. You can't come get your tool boxes until xx date. Due to the WARN act we were all given 60 days severance but being let go in late November, just closed on my house and finding out I had a baby on the way it didn't blunt to blow all that much IIRC. It took almost two months to get the check.

2. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

From what I looked at the WARN Act wouldn't apply.

"EXCEPTIONS TO WARN NOTICE REQUIREMENT

• A business is not required to give a full 60-day’s notice if it could not reasonably foresee business circumstances that led to a layoff or closing at the time that the 60-day notice would have been required, (e.g., a business circumstance that is caused by some sudden, dramatic, and unexpected action or conditions outside the employer’s control like the unexpected cancellation of a major order); or

• A business is not required to give notice if a layoff or plant closing is the direct result of a natural disaster (i.e., hurricane, flood, earthquake, tornado, storm, drought, or similar effect of nature)."

It is what it is......I will have questions I want answered when I show up for work though.

3. Knuckle Dragger

I believe there is a specific threshold for the amount of employees they lay off before it applies.

4. cali cruzer

Ahh...the joy of "working" again.

P&* B@^'s is getting out of commercial and retail in the Las Vegas area and others.
    Whole retail sales floor is 50% off everything. Got to hang out till first week of Aug., possibly, to receive my severance pay.

Everyday is a countdown to being unemployed again......:confused:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  5. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Hang in there. The company that laid me off gave me a pretty decent severance package. One week of my average pay (based on last 6 months) for every year I was employed with them, plus the remaining days of vacation I was owed...on top of my last full week's paycheck. That's about 7 1/2 weeks worth of pay I got from them.

Thankfully I got hired by the company that picked up the contract my old employer had. I received unemployment for the 2 weeks I was out of work. I just got my 1st paycheck today from my new employer. Looks like the pay will be a click or so better than what I was making before.

Zstar likes this.
  6. Knuckle Dragger

Get that resume ready, I can't believe a guy with your experience will be out of work for long. I would think you would do really well back in service writing.

7. cali cruzer

Thanks Dave. Not worried. I've never had issues getting a job. Same field..maybe. Maybe something completely different.
    I'm hoping to be able to take some sort of vacation to CA after all this is over. Stay at home order isn't my kind of vacation.
    Hopefully things will be more normal in a couple more months.

8. Knuckle Dragger

Come out to Arizona, it seems like everyone else is here right now :)