grand national 200-4r purchase

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by GM72_SuperSport, Jan 10, 2011.

1. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm at 700hp on N2O so the heavy duty input shaft and billet shaft for the input drum IMO is a must. I'm also building a 427SBC/SHP(Dart) 600hp NA / 900hp N2O (2 stages), and plan on my 200r4 build to handle this configuration.

-Rascal[/QUOTE]

Good luck with the 200-4R at the 900 HP level, 700 is beyond my personal limit with it.

2. Rascal

Rascal Veteran Member

Ok, I'm game..... (I have $400 into the 200r4), its a rebuilt Monte Carlo SS code 200r4. I'm sure I can get what I paid out of it.

4L80E
    Will a 4L80E fit my '73 Camaro tranny tunnel?
    Can I modify my existing x-member?
    What is required for a 4L80E in reference to module/computer?
    If I go full manual is the module/computer still required?
    What is the module/computer cost for the Auto/Manual setup?
    Advantages/Disadvantages of the module/computer?
    I have an electric Autometer Speedometer, what's involved to hook up?

Thanks!!!

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

PM Sent.

Gotcha, no that's cool now I know your preferred contact method.

That 442 info site on 2004R's was saying the AA Cadillac stuff had the lowest
    line pressures for very weak shifts. Said the OZ's had the highest line pressure.
    That's why I wanted to ask you. I read shift kits don't always correct this issue.

I've been debating buying a core and just buying a rebuild kit from you and getting your input.
    They have a DVD over on Boxwrench that teaches step by step. But obviously not the tricks.

I might blow it up, but figured I should give it a shot maybe....lol

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  4. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Line pressure has virtually nothing to do with the valve body. Any builder has their own way of dealing with line pressure as do most shift kits.

OZ has a late shift to OD, it's an odd calibration.

BR is limited, works OK if you want 4900-5200 rpm shifts but otherwise it's a dud and has some quirks.

CZ is decent, 5400-5500 rpm shifts and calibrated for a typical V8 gas engine as far as kickdown, etc.

I can cover a wide range of combos with KC, CR, AA, and OGs.

5. Aceshigh

:eek: Sweeeeeet.

I was trying to do a decent build for $1000 behind my 350 with 425ft lbs.
    Core $100

I'll email you what I'm looking into and see what parts combo's you have that
    I can grab that will work the best. I got a few local cores I'm looking into now.
    Boxwrench sells a rebuild DVD for 2004R's.....I was going to give it a shot.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  6. Aceshigh

7. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

So a 2004r is in my '71s future (since it was a TH350 car originally and the 2004r should drop right in - more or less). After reading a lot up here I was going to ask Jake to build one for me but I guess that is no longer an option. Given that does anyone have opinions about Bowtie Overdrives? Here's their 2004r page: http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog.php?Action=GETSUBCAT&CATID=C

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I own a 87 Grand National and I wish GM used the 700 instead. The swap using the 200 will be easier. You can ask these guys http://www.turbobuick.com/

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  9. z28smokin

z28smokin Veteran Member

This is somewhat dated, but I bought an 82' Indy Pace car in 85. It had the 205 hp 305 crossfire fuel injection. I had that car from 85-87 when it met with a horrible fate. I was 18 and drove like an 18 yo in the 80's. With 0 mods on the engine and a shift kit in the tranny, I went through 4 transmissions in 1.5 years. I was then told that was standard on 4 and 6 cyl and was a poor tranny for an 8. Swore I would never ever use that pos again, and have had few tranny probs with my 355/383 and 500ish hp. I would definately go with the 700 if it was me!!