GREAT(MAYBE) SPEAKER IDEA.

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by reinhardt65, Jan 10, 2002.

1. reinhardt65

reinhardt65 New Member

got a question here ppl. i got a 79 with the kickpanels there. they look like they got ovals cut out for 6x9's already. but on the passenger side is this round hump lookin thing. i took it off and it has a vacuum diaphgm and a vent there. what is that vent there? and any way to move it to put a set of 6x9's up there? any input anyone? im 16, so take my lingo and what not for what it is... also say stuff in simple lingo.. thx.

2. patgizz

patgizz Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

well, that diaphragm is part if your air conditioning. and if you cut in 6x9's there, and it rains or you wash the car, and water runs thru the vents on the cowl as it comes off the windshield, your speakers will get nice and wet from behind

3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I put some 6.5" rounds in there. However, I had to fab some mounting brackets and seal them to the body. Otherwise, like Pat said, water will leak in. BTW, I also had to weatherproof the backs of the speakers with some enclosures I picked up at my local stereo shop. I then cut out some openings in my kick panel trim pieces and attached some speaker grills painted the same color as the kick panels. Looks factory. Had them in for over a year now with no problems and they sound great.

------------------
    Pro-Tour 71
    Front View
    Back View
    Engine
    Interior

Wheels are 17x8.5 front, 17x9.5 rear
    Spacers are 2.0" front, 2.5" rear

God Bless the USA
    <>< Powered by Jesus

4. reinhardt65

reinhardt65 New Member

does your car have ac? wha vent is that? what it got to with anything? i took vent out and noticed hole there... so i notice id have to seal.. but b4 i take the vent/door outta commission i wanna know wha it does to see if ill miss it.