GTA people- Lawyers handling 407 lawsuits?

Discussion in 'Canadian Owners' started by Eric, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Eric

Eric Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Anybody know any lawyers doing work fighting the 407?

To make a long story short- a few days ago I received a 407 bill for over $12k!

Haven't used the 407 in at least 3.5 years, paid every account they had sent me bills upon from before that (excluding the one specific situation listed below)- then out of the blue- Bang! A statement demanding $12,000+

I believe this may have been my "original" 407 account (they created multiple accounts over time) upon which I had a pile of inaccurate "non-transponder" charges which I did not pay and wrote them a letter outlining the reasons for not paying the charges- then got the runaround. ($1k worth of non-transponder charges in total!) I assume- as they apparently are incapable of telling me anything it seems, that the 12k was arrived at by adding $30/month non-payment fees, statement fees for statements I never received, and transponder "lease" fees that were not applicable as the transponder was one of the first ones handed out by the government, long before the 407 got privatized- i.e. no lease fee, and interest at something like 29% a year.

They will not even "investigate" the account unless I pay a minimum of 25% up front. Flat-out extortion to try and rectify what I believe is their own "wrong" and negligence. I am having a tough time believing any of this could be considered 'legal'. If it is- we have a serious problem in Ontario these days.

Anyways- the only option I have is to take them to court. I'd use Small Claims, but the amount they want is too high- so it will have to go to General Division- which is a system I know little about and need a lawyer to, at the very least, write a brief that is accurate and winnable in the court.

Anyone hear of any lawyers that have experience taking on the 407 with at least some degree of success?

2. canadianzed

canadianzed Veteran Member

thats just not right - guilty until proven innocent?

3. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Eric, I work as a Consulting Engineer in the communications industry... but have no idea what a "407" is... can you be a little more specific? By the word transponder.. I'm guessing some kind of sattelite communications...

Also, I seriously doubt that any of the communications attorney's I know would have a clue how to interpret Industry Canada's statutes...
    All our negotiations go thru diplomatic channels.

But I am willing to assist if possible...

4. Kirk

Kirk Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mike - the 407 is a toll highway in Ontario. The transponder is the wireless gizmo that tracks when you enter or exit the toll portion of the highway.

5. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

got it.. RF ID for tolls...
    Has prolly been cloned. Happens all the time around here.

Demand detailed billing... find one instance wher you can prove you were somewhere else and it should be tossed out. Makes an excellent case to plead cloning.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  6. Eric

Eric Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cloning- that is a possibility- but still doesn't explain how I never got any statements for years!