Guitar guys, I need help!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 81_327, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Mathes79Z

Mathes79Z Veteran Member

Always stick with it, i dont with my bass guitar and its taking me forever to learn. make love to the guitar man. and often :) goodluck.

2. rat head

rat head Veteran Member

i was playing ever since 13 however i ve learned to play naturally ,

you would have to pay for lessons though, i don't know if you want to do that or not but ,i learned on my own ,

but then talent runs in my family, it depends on what you like,metal is easy,

blues is moderate, faminco is hard.

3. camrs73

camrs73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i also taught myself how to play. get a tuner, make sure you're always in tune then go to www.mxtabs.net find some songs you like and start practicing. keep with it, songs you think you could never play now you'll be able to if you keep practicing

4. docnascar

docnascar Veteran Member

Get a chord book, Find some songs you like and strum out the chords....

http://olga.net/ is a great place for tabs. Check out the chord generator on the right side of the page.

If you can get the past the sore fingers, stick with it. Eventually, they stop hurting.

5. 80Camaroman

80Camaroman Veteran Member

I strongly suggest going to Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com or similar book store getting the book The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer. Heres a link to what the book looks like.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0679742751?v=glance

This is a must have book for beginners, intermediate and advanced players alike. It has just about everything you will ever need and then some. It has a wonderful section for beginners, a tuning methods section, open chords, the three chord theory, chord progressions, scales and modes, picking tecniques, harmonics, intervals, interval inversions, triads, seventh chords, etc. It has a chord tabulation section in the back. Also has a section on guitar maintenance and customizing. It covers acoustic and electric guitars and how their constructed. A wonderful reference book to have handy. It can really help you to get started. The Mel Bay books are also really good too. Hope this helps! ;)

Jim
    '80 Berlinetta

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'll give a couple of tips

1) Start playing with heavy gauge strings, get used to them early on. Bigger strings make more sound and richer tone. I would get a set of 13's

2) Use heavy picks, but nothing fancy (no aluminum ect).

3) Get a pitch pipe to tune the guitar with, the guy at the music store will know what it is. Electronic tuners are great, but can also be a crutch

7. elzie

elzie Veteran Member

Lowend has a point about electronic tuners. After 27 years of playing, I still use a tuning fork. Also, a good metronome to help you keep time.

8. steve80

steve80 Veteran Member

Do you have Comcast or Netflix? They both have guitar lessons you can watch. You can find the ones on Comcast through the OnDemand menu.
    Sometime seeing it helps.

9. MulletMan1980

MulletMan1980 Veteran Member

I say that staring on a acoustic 1st is a myth. I started with a Ibanez electric and peavey amp 6 years ago. Anything you play on a acoustic can be played on a electric. If you say you wanna learn both or play both Id say when you get a electric a hollowbody electric or semi hollow would fit ya well. Fender Telecasters sound real nice on clean tones. OK enough of that crap. What I did when I wanted to learn was first learn how to read tabs. Next pick a band that you like but make sure its a band that keeps the recording simple ie The Ramones, Green Day Dookie Album. These are both simple to play becuase there are mostly only one guitar going on and the chrods are simple once you train your wrist to keep rythym. The solos are pretty much non existing or really short. This is how I started and then progressed to learning Metallica and other stuff with long solos and stuff. My other advise is to just stick with it. It can take up to six months maybe before you dont need to look at the fretboard when you play.

10. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have to disagree here... Good acoustic players turn into great electric players.
    Start off on the acoustic without the crutches of distortion or other effects you are left to just be a good player.
    Just listen to Doc Watson sometime, you'll see