Had TH350 rebuild and they plugged the kickdown cable hole

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Blue70, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Blue70

Blue70 Veteran Member

I had TH350 rebuild and they plugged the kickdown cable hole, the thing has nice firm shifts and will chirp 3rd.

If I come almost to a stop it downshifts on its own, but if I am driving and hammer it I need to downshift by hand. (This don't bother me at all)

What exactly does the cable do? Am I correct in to assume that nothing bad will happen because there is no kickdown cable.

The guy knows his stuff about transmissions and builds them for a lot of race teams, but I have not asked him about this yet..

I did not even think twice about this when I saw it, but it was brought up in another forum about someone's tranny after a new converter feels like it slips into neutral and now feels spongey and someone told him it was because the kickdown cable was not controling the line pressure because he did not have it hooked up, sounded fishy because mine is nice and firm.

2. Bruce Sherman

Bruce Sherman Veteran Member

I'm no tranny expert, but when you unhook the kickdown cable you must manualy down shift like you mentioned. It is alright for drag racing, but its there for a reason, I have mine hook up. My friend pluged his when he put the trans go kit in his th350, and has been fine for 2 years, but he is always fooling with the shifter when driving. I get in put it in Drive and go, when "racing" I'll use the ratchet action.

------------------
    Confucius says " he who uses small, crimped exhaust, gets short of breath"

3. Daniel

Daniel Veteran Member

4. Jet

Jet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That area on a TH350 has a habit of leaking, so your tranny guy knew what he was doing by plugging it.

5. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Leaving the cable off or unhooked won't do any damage to a th-350. It only controlls the 3 to 2 kickdown.

Now on trannys that uses a TV (throttle valve) cable like the 700R4 and 200 4R, the cable controlls line pressure and kickdown, so it MUST be hooked up and adjusted right

6. 79supergasdriver

79supergasdriver A Scholar and a Gentleman

Can you tell me what he used to plug it? Mine has the shredded end of the cable sticking out, with no bolt to retain it in, and my apartment management is getting mad at the growing stain where I always park. It leaks there and out the speedo gear hole (don't worry, the gear is in there and works). I've seen guys break off a peice of slightly larger wooden dowel rod or thread the hole and put a pipe plug in it. I really don't want to pull it again for a simple leak (or leaks). They get mad about that, too. I've already been threatened with eviction due to my hobby.

7. Blue70

Blue70 Veteran Member

Looks like after he cleaned the case he just gooped it full of high temp (I hope) silicone.

If it was out I would have used a pipe plug myself [​IMG]

8. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

You might not care either way. I personally rather have mine hooked up and adjusted properly. Before mine was hooked up, it didn't want to stay in low or 2nd gear long enough. After I connected and adjusted it, it will allow me to wind the gear out before it changes to a higher gear. But I like an automatic to be an automatic. If I wanted to manually shift gears, then I'd have a 4 speed. Oh yeah, the cool thing is, when I stand on it to pass someone or whatever, I kicks down to second and chirps the tires going back into drive everytime. Especially cool when you can scratch tires in the window of a Rustang as you pass.

------------------
    Objects In Mirror Are LOSING

9. Jet

Jet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The one I had was repaired using the pipe plug route...much cleaner & more permanent.