Hand impact driver question

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by TX79Z28, Jun 26, 2013.

1. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am posting this here because I used it (well, tried to) to remove the STUBBORN door latch bolts. This is the one I purchased:

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00057710/k-G1106621/

I know this will be a stupid question, but I don't know if it didn't work because I was not using it correctly.

It has a "collar" that can be turned slightly clockwise and counter-clockwise, and I imagine that determines the direction of the "torque" the tool transmits to the bolt. I turned it to the direction that gave me counter-clockwise turning when I struck the tool, but the bolt never even moved!

I ended up heating the crap out of the bolts with a propane torch and removed them with a Phillips bit on a socket wrench, but would like to know how this tool works for the future.

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated!

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mine's an older one, I turn the handle counter clockwise just like it was a screw driver until it stops, then smack the crap out of it with a 2lb hammer. Been so long since I've used it, I'll have to see if it has a collar like you described but I don't remember one.

3. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Make sure you are just turning it and not also holding the spring loaded back part down. If you hold it down, when you hit it, it can't turn. Turn it the direction you need it to go, but make sure you let the spring loaded back part spring freely as you strike it. In other words, don't hold the tool and push in on the back before you strike it. Hard to explain

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

My cheap impact driver needs to be held with the spring compressed before you hit it with a hammer. When I do that, it works every time. I've been removing those stubborn door latch screws successfully for 30 years with it.
    Learn what your driver needs and use it that way.

5. BondoSpecial

hmm, interesting. Mine is an old Home Depot "Husky". The way it works is it has ramps inside and when you strike it, it engages the ramp to make the end turn. If you compress mine it has already slid down the ramp and there is nowhere for it to go.

6. TX79Z28

I thinki get it. I WAS holding the part this gets struck, didn't seem to be another place to hold it. I guess I was defeating the "impact" part of it.....duh me!

7. BondoSpecial

It won't turn much, turn it in the direction you need to go but then hold the handle loosely, and SMACK it, with a heavy mini sledge. It should turn the bit maybe 1/16 of a turn, very little, but it will turn the bit.

8. TX79Z28

I hope I NEVER have to deal with bolts like these again, but I think I have a better understanding of it now. I don't know what gorilla put those things on at the factory, or what kind of thread sealant they used....but other than the body mount bolts, these were the toughest to remove!

9. Krator

Krator Veteran Member

Good luck with that all the seat belts have them too. I'm going to have to heat the nuts up on the back to get them out. Not fun.

10. TX79Z28

I already did them when I welded new floor pans...... propane torch and vice grips are your friend!