Harbor Freight Sandblaster - Making it Work

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by doug mundahl, Jul 19, 2021.

1. doug mundahl

doug mundahl Veteran Member

bought one of the pressure pot sand blasters on ebay, tried everything but crushing it with the loader to get it to work. then i visited with a person and he said to try one of these nozzles, 1/8 inch hole. could maybe be a size smaller, finest tractor supply coal media comes out of this 1/8th inch good. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2029674754...var=503145747174&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 its sortve large but works in the hand well, no deadman valve, just on the blaster itself. the end of nozzle for air inlet is 3/4 pipe and i used a reducer to 3/8ths pipe to 3/8ths barb fitting into the hose that comes with the blaster. crack the tank air just enough to hear air running into it and media out the bottom just enough to get some product, did a few parts with no burps. 1/8th inch hole really lets out a lot of air and is why im thinking maybe a size smaller but the 1/8th inch lets my smaller air compresser able to go for awhile. i think this is going to work. i am going to order a 3/32 tip also and try that. i know i wouldnt want more than 1/8th inch.https://www.ebay.com/itm/2026804948...l2S5%2F1FtHIy9iu4Gfu|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675

2. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

I'll have to try that on mine. I haven't used it yet.

3. doug mundahl

the answer for blasting is air and lots of it, i took the body, doors, trunk, hood to a guy thats done them for years, he knows how to not make the metal wavy, went good and a local blaster for the rear axle and front subframe, and im going to try and do all the rest myself as i go, so i got one of these harbor freight deals. the small compressors i found cant handle a 1/4 inch hole, even with 2 hooked together, drains it fast, but getting the blast hole down to 1/8th or even 3/32nds it will go for awhile, and with the smaller parts seems to work out. win one way and lose the other i guess.

4. arm2004

arm2004 Veteran Member

I use a Harbor Freight 40Lb pressure pot sandblaster with the 1/8 tips it took me a little bit to figure it out i keep pluging the tip. I found the key to it is the way you valve it in- first open the air inlet valve all the way then open the the valve at the end of the hose( deadman valve) all the way- now control you media with the valve at the bottom of the tank that the hose connect to ( if you open this valve 2nd it will fill your hose and plug the tip)also if you open this valve to far it will plug the tip. I run mine at 50- 60 psi and have no sheet metal problems. I also found the tractor supply and royal king coal media has a lot of fines that will plug up. Try to find somebody that sells black beauty media a good suppler will have it in extra-fine to course way better quality meadia ( i used fine and worked very well at 60 psi)

5. Ihada70Z28B4

Ihada70Z28B4 Veteran Member

Always filter the media through an old window screen. That combined with the valving method above works every time for me, with nothing else needed. Until i filtered the black beauty coal slag or anything else it would plug up pretty quickly.

6. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just use the hose with the gun on the end from tractor supply. Stuck it down in the bag and off I go. Got rid of my PITA pressure pot.

Make sure you guys protect you lungs! Buy a fresh air supply system off ebay.

doug mundahl likes this.
  7. doug mundahl

wanted to mention, the tip in my first post is a long V, the media is funneled to the tip nozzle hole, isnt bouncing around looking for the air outlet like the tip in the one that came with it, i feel this helps. did the front spindles last night and i thought it went good. 10-15 minutes.