Hard Brake Pedal Suggestions

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by JRowe, Aug 8, 2020.

1. JRowe

JRowe Veteran Member

My 73 Z28 sat for a few years and the brake fluid leaked out. So I put all new brake lines in, new master cylinder, new booster, wilwood D52 brakes up front etc. Bleed the brakes and now I have a hard pedal. All four brakes seem to work. The back drums appear to work. I took the drums off and all the pads moved. I have spun the front wheels and had someone hit the brakes and the all stopped but I still have a hard pedal. Bleed the car a few more times. Tested the booster and it seems okay. The proportioning valve does not appear to be off center. Did not change it and the wheel cylinders have not been changed
    Any suggestions on what else I should look at? Thanks for any suggestions

2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Could be the piston size in the master is not correct for the rest of the system.

Did you get everything as a kit?

3. JRowe

JRowe Veteran Member

No. But I got the master cylinder from NPD. So I think it should be right.

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

If the master cylinder piston is too big it'll definitely give you a hard pedal.

5. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had what sounds like a similar situation several years ago with my 70Z. Installed all new brake components and brakes bled and worked well, but pedal was very hard. Turned out my new repop booster was bad. Installed a new repop booster and all worked as normal. Just a thought...just because a part is new does not mean it's good.

Fbird likes this.