Hard drive wiped...I'm Back!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Buickfunnycar, Jul 18, 2011.

1. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've done that, it is a folk lore. You can either hammer away and get small amounts of data at a time, or the HDD is toast.

2. Camaro4life18

Camaro4life18 Veteran Member

If your hard drive really is dead, or dieing (louder than usual), then yes get a new drive. But if you just had some issue with some corrupt data or windows was corrupt, then a format and re-install will fix everything.

Now if you do need a new drive, first off I don't see the point in getting an ATA133 drive. You're not going to notice hardly any difference between an ATA100 and a ATA133. 133 was barely even out when SATA came out and replaced it. So there's not that many out there, and they are much more expensive.

Secondly, do you really need 320GBs? From what research I have found on your current hard drive based on laptop model, you have either a 30 or 40GB drive now. No sense in jumping to 320 if you only had 30 to start with.

Lastly, while external USB drives can be useful as some have mentioned, they are no more reliable than any other drive. In fact, they use the exact same drives in the externals. They simple throw it in a box and add some converting hardware to transmit the data across USB. Plus, with USB you WILL notice a huge performance decrease. If you are just using it as storage, then it might not be that bad. But if you are running windows from it and other software, it will take forever to do anything.

I recommend getting a simple ATA100 drive a little bit bigger than what you have, at a cheaper price. If you spend any more you might as well buy a new laptop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136129

3. Javelin3o4

Javelin3o4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The key difference with externals is most people only use them as backups in spurts.
    So they will live alot longer.

My 4 year old Ext. 500GB drive has probably been on to do 10 backups in 4 years.
    So it's been on maybe 2-5 hours. The same drive in my PC has been on probably 8,000 hours.

Therefore the external will outlive just about ANY internal hard drive.
    Flash based large HDD's will replace it before it fails most likely.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  5. Camaro4life18

Camaro4life18 Veteran Member

True, but their life expectancy in terms of running hours will be roughly the same.

I don't use externals cause I'm too lazy to run periodic backups of my data. I would rather save it real time and not have to remember to back it up. So I spent like $160 and got 2 1TB drives and put them in a RAID1. The odds of both drives failing at the same time is very minimal. And if one fails I don't mind spending another $80 to replace it.

6. Javelin3o4

I will just say mechanical hard drives are unpredictable. Weather its internal or external it has moving parts and can fail whenever it wants.

As far as my backups I have my stuff on 2 different hard drives (external) aswell as my more important stuff (pictures) burned to DVD with those plastic covers on the bottom to protect them from scratches which you can also leave on the cd while its in the drive, I then have the DVD's in a DVD tin with one of those silica packets.

7. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

These are getting hard to come by, but if you don't need a lot of storage (or will offload video/pics to a portable USB Drive), you might consider a PATA solid state drive.

http://www.amazon.com/KINGSPEC-PATA-HARD-DRIVE-32GB/dp/tech-data/B003F14W5U

This is slow by today's standards, but probably still 5-10x faster on reads/writes than a replacement PATA HDD.

I've used 500GB of space at home, due to iTunes and movies, but on my work laptop, I've used up 33GB, and I've got pdfs of every single tech manual (including all electrical and mechanical drawings) for our entire tool set. 6_ years of email backups, etc... and only 33GB total.

8. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oops...sorry guys,didn't specify and been painting for like 14 straight days.:eek:

My h/d was fried and my buddy installed one he had,he said it's only like 30 gb (maybe 20) and he suggested I replace with something like I posted.
    He thought the price was a little high and suggested eBay for a possible deal there.I have heard of NewEgg and know they are reputable and have no prob forking over the coin if that's what it costs,I just was looking for a deal because I'll be replacing this relic sooner than later.

Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions...:p

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  9. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

10. Javelin3o4