Harley Spokes

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Aug 19, 2020.

1. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

My baby was in hostage in Florida for 2 years and it took a toll. Just got it home (upstate NY) a couple weeks ago. I'd clean and wax my baby every two weeks. Made certain it was clean and shiny. Today, I went out to clean the rims. First thing I notice is the spokes are rusted to hell. I did take 150 grit paper and they clean up but that would be one PITA. And they'd rust again. What's cheaper - getting an entire new rim with spokes or just having the spokes replaced.

Sitting takes a toll. When I rode it home (about 50 miles from where it was dropped off) the bike was "bouncing." Got off, looked at the front tire and it has a flat spot. I didn't even look at the back. Obviously, new tires and tubes. Mirrors rusted. Throttle handle feels like mush. Seems to be as soon as I get something cleaned up, I spot something else. But it is well worth it. I'm the original owner (2001) and it only has 19K miles. Approximately 4K was going to the HD Hundredth in 2003. Runs like it is new. A lot of work to do to get it back in pristine condition. I'm just a retired old bum so time is on my hands.

2. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

When I stored my son's Bike when he moved to Seattle, the Florida humidity did take a toll.

For Chrome Spokes try Steel Wool with Chrome Polish!

3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

re-spoking a wheel is challenging. If the person is NOT squared away...you will forever have a MESS. Now ..if you or (your hired person) knows what they are looking at...and the technique to do so...by all means ROLL ON. If the spokes are that bad I would move on to wheels as the rim will have rust inside the spoke hole.

4. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Get rid of the spokes they are a pain in the ass all the way around. I got rid of my spokes and bought Harley mags. I was always afraid of getting a flat with the tubes and getting stranded.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Since you have to buy new tires and tubes, you might as well price wheels if you find something you like. Give your baby some new jewelry!
    PS, as you probably already know, wheels can get stupid expensive. When I was looking years ago I went into shock.

6. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Go on ebay and look for stock harley mag wheels. I replaced my spoked wheels on my 02 Electra Glide with the stock Harley Wagon Wheels for about $150 each. So many people upgrade there Harley's that there is always used rims in pristine condition for sale on ebay. Jut make sure you get compatible wheels, I know in 07 or 08 they changed things up on the baggers and only certain year wheels were compatible.

7. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

I got rid of my spikes on my 03 Dyna and bought these wheels C2F4CEFD-DCB1-4328-8878-829077E55B1A.jpeg FA012C34-E6EC-4E24-8337-870ED66A1CB9.jpeg

8. z2880

z2880 Veteran Member

I gave solid rear, and Stainless twisted spokes on the front.. key word stainless!

9. biker

biker Veteran Member

Having re-spoked wheels, I whole heartedly recommend finding replacement wheels. If you like spokes, there are plenty of people selling spoked wheels cheap. If you want low maintenance and easy wheel balancing, find a set of factory aluminum wheels. Again, lots of people go with custom stuff, so there are lots of cheap factory wheels kicking around.

Then, if you want a challenge, buy new spokes and take a shot at replacing yours. Trust me, it's like a Rubic's cube with half the stickers missing.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  10. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Florida being surrounded by salt water is the rust mecca for storing valuable items. Nothing encourages rust like salt. I would agree. Cleaning the spokes will be a huge job, and you likely can't get all the rust no matter how diligent you are. Respoking is a tedious job, and then realigning the wheel so it rolls down the road smoothly is difficult.
    New wheels and tires just might be the way to go.