harmonic balancer help

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by cbraswell, Jul 21, 2015.

1. cbraswell

cbraswell Veteran Member

I know this subject has been beat to death but I'm getting ready to change to a serpentine setup and while I had everything out of the way I wanted to put a new harmonic balancer on it..

My car is suppose to have a 350 and the casting number (14010209) says so but the timing tab is at the 12 o'clock position and the best I could measure with the cluttered up engine bay it is a 6 3/4 balancer. All the balancers I've found seem to be 8" or either 6 3/4" but use the same 1:30 position timing tab. I've found where some 305's had this same setup as I have but what yr would I need to reference to? This is confusing..

2. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

truck 350

some truck 350s used the same balancer as car 305s. Go down to the parts store and ask to look at a couple of balancers.

Also the fixed reference point on the engine can be mounted in a couple of different spots.

Mr Twisted will know, or GaryS or ...someone will know more than me.

3. cbraswell

cbraswell Veteran Member

The parts stores around me NEVER seem to have anything in stock without having to order it and go back the next day and then it being the wrong part and having to reorder so I usually try and deal with summit lol Worth a shot I guess though..

I thought it would be easier to just replace the balancer and use the same 12 o'clock timing tab but I'm not so sure now.

4. Johnny.chev

Johnny.chev New Member

little advice

I tried to put a factory setup on my z-28 hood would not shut check for this before getting too serius with swap!

5. Johnny.chev

Johnny.chev New Member

little advice

I tried to put a factory setup on my z-28 hood would not shut check for this before getting too serius with swap!

6. cbraswell

cbraswell Veteran Member

Use the serpentine setup off a 3rd gen camaro :cool:

7. cbraswell

cbraswell Veteran Member

Bump