has anybody owned or used a Jimglo tilt load open car trailer?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by C4Racer, Apr 9, 2021.

1. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

2. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

Just because no one has replied... I used a friends tilt bed trailer a few years ago when moving the Camaro to my house. I don't know what brand it was, but it used a manual hydraulic jack to tilt the bed so likely not one of these. It was very easy to load and unload though. These look really good, but it appears no one on here has actual experience with them? Best of luck in your decision!

3. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Thanks. It seems like a good solution. Here is the deal - because wood is getting so expensive, the old standard cheap wood deck trailers are going up in price - they are now in the $4K range. I found a steel deck 18' for $4800. The steel deck kwikload texas rollbacks are $6K and this fancy Jimglo is $7500 plus you buy those in AZ so there is no CA sales tax, so it's basically $1K more for what seems to be a much nicer trailer that is also 500lbs lighter that the TX rollback which makes it easier to move around and less of a load on my truck - (Colorado with a more limited tow rating of 7K). I'll be well under that either way, but still.

Downside is I would need to drive out to AZ - but I can plan that with a trip I am going to have to do anyway to help my parents move out of their house in AZ.

4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've seen those before. Seem to work well, although I remember the fenders been right where it makes it hard to open the car's doors.

These guys popped up a few years back and seemed amazing. I'm not finding their website today, so they might now be around anymore

5. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

The fenders on the Jimglo are removable, same with the kwikload

There is one dark horse option I am considering - Futura trailers out of Australia. But I am having a hard time getting a quote from a dealer - seems they have better things to do than worry about some small high end trailer outfit. The trailer does the same thing. The one real advantage to that for me is then I can park the trailer under the car port with the car on it - so it greatly streamlines the storage space for me and my particular situation.

But - that jumps the price up to $11-12K from what I understand so now we are talking real money. Not sure it's worth that much extra - that's $4K more than the Jimglo.

https://www.futuratrailers.com/us/super-sport

That airbagged company is out of business. MaxxD makes one like it - but it's a heavy thing at 3K+ lbs so that is a non starter for me.

6. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

never heard of jimglo before but lots of tilt deck trailers out there. Trailer brands are pretty regional from my experiences so probably why I have never heard of them here in the midwest.

I really like the looks of a tilt deck and if I ever replace my trailer i would consider them. Im really not sold on aluminum though, stress cracks can be an issue and its not nearly easy to patch one up if it is damaged. But keep in mind I am probably a little harder on my trailer than you will be as I haul my 4500lb tractor with implements on it more than I do a car.

I have seen the airbag trailers to and man that is slick but I cant get past my worry of an airline blowing off while going down the road and the whole trailer suddenly laying frame... Also I would think getting in and out of the car would be near impossible being down in between the tires like that.

7. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

ya - the all steel kwikload is arguably more durable. Also has no hydraulic element. But you do have to back the truck up to engage the tilt. That can be a hassle depending where you are loading and unloading. So it's a trade off. I'm not too worried about the AL aspect as the trailer will only be used to haul 3-3.5K lb classic cars.

https://www.kwikload.com/products/car-hauler/

These weigh 2Klbs so it's only a 500lb difference - either one would work for me.

8. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

That airbag trailer is kinda neat, I love how low it gets and no ramps, but the inhospitable elements where I come from, more complication and moving leaves too much risk of getting stranded not being able to load or unload. Although to be fair, I probably wouldn't be towing the car in crap winter weather anyway!

9. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I also wonder how the rear axle setup on the airbag trailer holds up when the bushings get some wear in them since it is pushing the wheels in front of the swing arms instead of trailing.