Has anyone ever...

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Camaro Tim01, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Camaro Tim01

Camaro Tim01 Veteran Member

Has anyone ever modified the front and rear windshield channel so the chrome trim is replaced with the newer looking black plastic trim all the new cars have and if so what and how did they do it ?
    some will hate me but I dont like the look of the chrome around the windows, I want to put the newer stuff the later cars have

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

They sell a flush mount glass, big bucks, and a few have modified the channel to achieve the same effect, lots of work.

3. Camaro Tim01

forgive me I've never really done alot of windshields but the idea is that the glass needs to be level with the windshield channel and then the newer black stuff will fit ? ... so you can raise the windshield channel up and make the width the size you need for the new stuff and it should work right ?
    If I use the new urethane windshield adhesive instead of the old black tar strip and the new black stuff as trim after building up the channels then it should work... anyone see any problems in that ?

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You are working in three dimensions on a project like this.
    The windshield is a bit easier than the rear window because there's no channel at the bottom but the glass would still need to be raised across the lower edge.

To do it correctly, you need to reshape the window channel (metal work), not just push the glass outward and expect a modern, flush seal to perfectly fill the gap.

That's why there is a market for the oversized glass.
    Take a deep breath before you click the link.

https://www.rickscamaros.com/1970-1...VzsDACh1KMAAkEAQYAiABEgIO_PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can't imagine the work it would take to modify the sheet metal for the rear window of a 75-81 without using this specialty glass. (Due to the wrap-around corners of the glass.)

5. Camaro Tim01

2000$.... but it does look awesome.... how can you not like the way that looks.... hmmmmmmm.....2000$ or alot of metalwork... its alot for glass but not that much compared to the hours of metalwork involved to modify the channels..... hmmmmmmmmm..... but you gotta like the look of that....

I suppose you could use modelling clay or plasticine and place the window in it and gently push down until level all around, that would give you the imprint of how much you need to raise the channel...but then you'd still have to narrow the width as well...so alot of metal work involved and then the interior trim pieces wouldnt fit against the window and may look odd....hmmmmm....leaning towards the 2000$ cuz it looks awesome but I'd hate to get a stone chip LOL

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  6. EVILFACE

EVILFACE Veteran Member

Money is made to be spent!

2k doesn’t seem too outrageous vs metalwork.

7. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Camaro Tim01 likes this.
  8. xten

xten Veteran Member

Bodymanbill has a 1970 that he altered the glass opening to fit the stock glass. Ton of metal work, but IMO, looks a whole lot better than that bigger glass. I've seen both up close, and I just don't like that fat black band around the bigger window.

9. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

627E2B22-245E-4D69-A4D8-9E274B06C34D.png 88EE0AF7-0687-477E-B209-B7BD79D27FB4.png 968F68A6-75F7-4FBF-881D-FFE7042E09F7.png LOL i was just about to post mine i did about 10 years ago with original size glass, was a Ridiculous amount of metal work. Unfortunately I haven’t finished this car yet, hope to get back on it next year.

Camaro Tim01, dave@ztech and Zstar like this.
  10. xten

xten Veteran Member

That car took a back seat for two good reasons I can think of right off the bat. lol. I forget all the time that car's still around.

bodymanbill likes this.