Has anyone ever...

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Camaro Tim01, Jul 13, 2020.

1. chuck13

chuck13 Member

Man that's a fine looking Camaro!~

2. Camaro Tim01

Camaro Tim01 Veteran Member

Some good ideas thanks guys !, Might go the powder coating way and do the bumpers too, I like the look of it on that Red Camaro...
    I dunno if I can justify the price theyre asking for the stuff theyre selling, and even if I did I'm still stuck with bumpers so I think if I dont do the even glass look I would go with bringing them to a shop to be coated along with the bumpers...

I'm not sure what you mean by having them dipped ? can you explain the process.... im a little behind on the latest tech, did they develop a different way to powder coat where they dip it in a solution instead of electrostatic and baking it on ?

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I went the powder coating route on my window trim (drip rail and door handles) way back in '93.
    Besides a few sand pits in the windshield trim from 60K miles of driving... It's still in great shape.

upload_2020-7-23_15-4-35.png

Attached Files:

dave@ztech, mallard and Camaro Tim01 like this.
  4. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

PlasitDip. Rubberized spray coating. I did the bowtie emblems on our Equinox to change the gold to black. It's not hard to do, very forgiving if you make a mistake and seems to hold up real well. It took about 90 minutes to spray on several coats and then let it dry so I could peel off the excess. I did this back when there was snow on the ground and it still looks great now - even after a number of car washes.

You can learn more about it here:

https://www.dipyourcar.com/?gclid=C...k-iL7NDBeycIplUVzqdnPwOl3qFsyrfMaAvUgEALw_wcB

5. Twisted_Metal

A "Fake" Premier edition Equinox? :rolleyes:

;)

6. Camaro Tim01

Camaro Tim01 Veteran Member

ahhh so rubber... I think I want a more solid look and feel on those items

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Terry

It is a real Equinox Premier. They come with the gold centers from the factory. Chevrolet has a $195.00 option if you want the black front and rear bowtie emplems on the Premier:

I bought mine from existing stock and it didn't have the $195.00 option on it. Who knows how much buying the replacement bowties are - I sure didn't check? I spent $5.00 on a can of PlastiDip and "customized" my Equinox...:D

Tim

This is exactly how my dipped emblems look. It cost me one can of black PlastiDip from my local Fleet Farm store and I used some of my current supply of masking tape and some old newspapers to get it done.

As already noted, I did powder coat the trim and moldings on my wife's Camaro. "Dipping" wasn't known to me at that time. If I were doing it today, I'd still want to do the bumpers in powder coat - and if I was doing the bumpers I'd do the trim to get an exact color match.

I just wanted to give you another option - or show you a way to do an inexpensive test to see if you really liked the look (you can peel it off if you don't like the look). You can't peal off powder coat...;)

8. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

That's quite sharp. Any more pics posted somewhere?

9. Twisted_Metal

Here's a pic from a bit closer which shows a little more detail.
    upload_2020-8-7_15-18-56.png

Different cameras a lighting shift the color but the window trim is more visible in this pic.

mallard and BillyDean7173 like this.
  10. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Very nice clean look to your car, TM! Speaking of colour, my '74z is 'medium red' and depending on the angle you look at it in the outdoor light, it can look red or it can look more orange.