Head gaskets and quench.

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Farmtruck53, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Farmtruck53

Farmtruck53 Member

Alright thanks. That truck sounds like lots of fun. 59 sqinch and on 91 octain run real good at that weight. I'll go with the 0.26 gasket and the 64 chamber heads and see what happens. Should be around 10.1 or so. Maybe alittle less. It's in a Nova no air or power nothing. Ran pretty good with the big chamber heads. Should pick up some with the change, plus the fact of knocking 50+ pounds of the front. Thank you sir.

2. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

If you were running 76cc heads and going with those aluminum ones you will be amazed at the power.
    Unless the 76cc ones were ported and milled.
    Some of those actually work very well for what junk they are.
    I have had a couple Nova's and I got one down to 2780 lbs it was stupid fast for a daily driver and having a trailer hitch that seen a lot of towing.
    176 MPH in 3/4 of a mile.
    Still pulling but I was good with that 7600 RPM in high gear with 3.70 gear and Tall Hoosiers.
    Little 350"s will scoot when warmed up.

3. Farmtruck53

Farmtruck53 Member

Lol.damn! Bet that was a hoot. Yeah they were 487 heads that had been shaved to 72cc. With the flatops around 9.1 best I could figure. 350 turbo trans 2000 stall. Headers 2.5 pipes all the way back. It would melt the tires at will as it was in low gear. Never ran it at the track yet but it's coming. Right now I just agrivate some of the local boys in their fox body's.lol, and I am 67 years young and still having fun. Thanks for your in site and keep havein fun!

jeff swisher likes this.
  4. jeff swisher

The guy that grinds my cams is 70 and he is building another hot rod truck this time a .623 lift 6.0 LS for power.
    A 4L80 trans and we will see if the rear end lasts.

It's not out of our blood until we die.

Farmtruck53 likes this.
  5. Farmtruck53

Farmtruck53 Member

Yes sir. Got that right. Some of the fastest guys at our local track are older men. I am in southeast Texas and their are some really fast car's around here. Going to the track this weekend to watch some 10.5 outlaw door slamers.my favorite. Built by guys that work for a living and build their cars at home. Amazing to see what they can do. Take care.

jeff swisher likes this.
  6. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wish this post was around last month...I just did a head gasket on my 383. Piston is down .030. Gasket I pulled out was .050 compressed. Car runs really good for my needs. I put in a .040 gasket, for a little bit more compression. This still leaves me at .070. Seems high for what you guys are talking about. My compression ratio is about 10.5:1. Didn't want to go much higher, as I'm running 93 pump gas.

7. jeff swisher

You will be amazed at what some nitrous and supercharged guys run for piston to head clearances.
    .070" would be tight

8. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

You sure they weren't running aluminum rods?

9. jeff swisher

You can read all day long on some that run big distances and love them and others that like them tight.
    https://www.yellowbullet.com/threads/quench-for-boost-applications.363335/

A lot of it is specific to the chamber shape and as we know there is a lot of power to be made or to be lost in chamber shape.
    And chamber size.