Header bolt issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by DOCS70, Apr 20, 2012.

1. DOCS70

DOCS70 Member

what's the easiest way to get the back 2 bolts on headers for my 1970 with 350.

2. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Veteran Member

none best way i did em was to go to a pawn shop get a little wrench grind it down so it thin enough to work for you

3. ozchevy

ozchevy Veteran Member

This is the best Spanner for the job, Stahlwille spanners are super quality and about the best ergonomical in size on the market. I've never had one fail me yet.

http://www.stahlwille-online.de/pictures/all/27_fot_012.jpg

4. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Over the years, I've modified, bought, and sorted through tools so that now I have a selection of box end wrenches, sockets, and open end wrenches for header bolts. In the end, most of the time you'll wind up modifying (grinding) a wrench to work on the header bolts.

Header bolt thread is 3/8" X 16 (threads per inch) which come in quite a few different head configeruations. 9/16", 7/16", 3/8", and hex socket. I personaly prefer the six point 3/8" hex head ones although I did find a set of 12 point head ones that were easier to work with on my (then) SBC powered '64 Chevy II Nova with Hooker Super Comp headers on it.

5. DMSTAINLESS

DMSTAINLESS Veteran Member

I use the moroso header bolts that give a bit more clearance for they have a 5/16 head and then I use a combo of either craftsman ignition wrenches ( the ones that come in a pak) and I also have an old wrech I cut down and bent to fit. Try to stay with a box end.

6. DMSTAINLESS

DMSTAINLESS Veteran Member

I'm sorry it may b the 3/8 head...

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Every set of headers is different. Some fit well, and others don't. I put my bolts all in with a box wrench, and it worked well.

8. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

On most small block applications, we usually do a couple of things.

1) You've got a few good choices on fastners: Stage 8 header fasteners have some good features. Besides the locking clips, they also have a allen socket in the hex head and allow you to tighten them up with either a regular 7/16" wrench or a 3/16" Allen bit. Another good fastener is a 12-point 3/8". Maybe take a look into ARP's Header studs and locking nut system.

2) Slot the end holes on both sides of each header and gaskets. Then loosely install a pair of header bolts on the front and rear of each head. With the bolts in place, you can drop the header & gasket onto the bolts and start the other 4-bolts on the inside of the header and start torquing them into place without trying to wrestle the weight of the headers.

With th

9. DOCS70

DOCS70 Member

Thanks All

Tried the Hex Head Bolt and a small box end wrench. definately will look at the spanner wrench since it seems to make things a bit easier on the passenger side.

10. Blew68

Blew68 Member

at one time I had a set of bolts that were allen head ( had the hex hole in the center of the bolts )