header bolts

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by slayer74, Sep 25, 2015.

1. slayer74

slayer74 Veteran Member

hi,can anyone recommend a good brand of header bolts?mine have come loose before and this time one fell out,i would like to get them locked down once and for all any suggestions?

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In all actuality it's not the header bolts that are the problem from loosening up and falling off . It's the header gasket that's your main problem . I'm just using plain old Mr Gasket header bolts , like the ones you find on the shelves of your local auto parts stores

I kept having header bolts loosening up causing exh leaks and it was driving me nuts . Did some research and found a set of thick dead soft copper header gaskets and installed them . It's Been over 5 years since then and not one loose header bolt

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Agree with muscl car. It isn't the bolts that are the problem. It is the gaskets shrinking and compressing from the heat and cool cycles. Some years ago I found a brand of fiber gaskets that don't compress. Since then, I don't have to tighten my header bolts anymore. On my daily driver pickup, I even reused the same set of gaskets on a second set of headers after the first set rusted through from so many years of use. They are stil on there and don't leak or let the bolts loosen.

4. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I use a Stage 8 header bolt with a thick copper gasket. But I do check them once in a while ,just like you check your oil and do other maintenance checks.

6. slayer74

slayer74 Veteran Member

thanks alot fellas i checked out stage 8 bolts on line and they look good but i'm also going to go ahead and replace the gasket at the same time

7. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

I'll have to try the gaskets you guys are talking about. I've used Stage 8 before but I feel like they were more hassle then tightening the bolts occasionally. Really as much work as I've found owning the camaro is loose header bolts seems like nothing. I think too that if you run long tube headers with conventional flange connections at the end of the collectors with a low suspension they are hard to keep from dragging over speed bumps. I just have to go real slow over speed bumps. I think when the collectors drag the ground or speed bumps that really puts the header bolts and gaskets to the test. My back bolts at the firewall are always the ones to get loose the fastest and I've figured it is the vibration differential of the engine to the exhaust hung from the body and occasional scrape on the ground that causes that.

8. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm using Remflex header gaskets www.remflex.com

They're 1/8" thick graphite gaskets and like I mentioned previously they've been on my motor since early 2010

9. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

10. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

Last set of headers I installed I used felpro. Coated the gaskets on both sides with the hi heat copper rtv and cranked them tight. no problems since and no leaks. 3-4 yrs.