Header fitment

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Elliott Taylor, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Elliott Taylor

Elliott Taylor Member

Guys,
    I have a set of Hooker headers/#2451-3HKR that I originally bought for my 65 Chevelle. I recently got my 77 Camaro, and would like to use these if possible.

They look EXACTLY the same as the headers I pulled off. My old instructions for these headers say they will fit a 70-81 Camaro, but the new downloadable instructions on Holley.com say they will only fit up to a 74.

I called Holley and no one I get on the phone seems to know if they'll work for sure.

My questions is:
    Has anyone else used this style, or do you know the difference between a 74 and 77 that would make them 'potentially" not fit or fit?

2. DougD

DougD Member

I'd look up another manufacturer for the same cross-fit between the Chevelle and Camaro.

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

'74 and newer Camaros have catalytic converters and Y-pipes. If you have removed these or are running dual exhaust, it shouldn't be an issue

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I have had both cars And the chassis are pretty close.The difference is in the exhaust since it went into a single catalytic converter .But depending on the state .You can run a dual exhaust like the earlier cars .My 1979 Z-28 has true dual exhaust with Flowmaster mufflers and the stock tail pipes.

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

If the headers are properly made, they should fit both Camaro and Chevelle. I put the same headers on my Camaro as my Son has on his '69 Chevelle. They fit both cars.

6. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

Why wouldn't you just see if they fit by installing them? You won't actually know until you try them.

7. Elliott Taylor

Elliott Taylor Member

Ok, guys I know it has been a while since I posted this. I finally got a good tech on the line at Holley, and he informed me Hooker #7514 and #2451 are indeed the same headers! They rename the 2451 to 7514 because of changes in emissions laws that apparently changed in 1975.

So, for anyone that runs across this issue in the future there is your answer.
    Thanks for all the replies, fellas.

8. Elliott Taylor

Elliott Taylor Member

And you guys that already knew the answer, thanks again. I just had to confirm so I didn't scratch these up installing if they weren't correct

9. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Those are the generic style header that everyone make for most SBC's, they will fit I have used them on my 1980 Camaro with plenty of clearance but they will not work with angle plug heads.