Headers and exhaust

KMcHale

Dec 21, 2002
Nashville
Looking for advice on what to put on my 305 block. Do i buy headers and mufflers and have a local shop make the pipes or do I buy a complete system? Have classic tags so emissions are not an issue.

CamarosRus

Veteran Member
Feb 16, 2000
Auburn,WA (between Sea & Tac)
Depends upon your likes, dislikes and what youre wanting to achieve with your car build.

There have been ALOT of exhaust threads on this site. You can read for hours
if you'll only use the search function.

I bought the THRUSH/Dynamax Crossflow/Transverse Mounted Muffler, 2 1/2"
Mandrel Bent System sold thru Advance Auto Parts and other vendors.

It comes with generic hangar pieces which I dont care for but may work.
I'm still trying to rework OE stock hangars.

KMcHale

Dec 21, 2002
Nashville
OK done a little searching and I have come up with the following:
Pypes SGF11R Comes with the Street Pro Mufflers
Collector Reducer (3.0 to 2.5) PN PVR16s
Hooker Competition Headers 2451-2HKR Stainless Steel Full Length
Hooker Drivers side AC bracket
The only problem is that they say the bracket works on a Camaro up to 1980. Can I use the stock bracket or do I have to modify the stock bracket?
Anyone out there installed headers on an 81Z with AC?
Not totally sold on the hooker headers would be open to other recommendations.....

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
That's not an inexpensive system you're looking at. What's you engine combination? Sometimes the investment doesn't equal the gain, ie; bang for the buck. But it's your money. :cool:

KMcHale

Dec 21, 2002
Nashville
That's not an inexpensive system you're looking at. What's you engine combination? Sometimes the investment doesn't equal the gain, ie; bang for the buck. But it's your money. :cool:
It's a 305 with AC and a manual trans. Purchased the car 10 years ago and have been wanting to do some mechanical work on the car for many years but deciding between kids college and my hobby car I have to say my hobby came second. Now that the kids are off the payroll I have some disposable income to devote to my hobby. I am interested in doing it right. Good fast cheap pick two. I am looking for something I can bolt on in my garage, I truly enjoy working on my Z, and something that will work with a SBC crate motor should I decide to go that way in the future. Still trying to decide what to do with the numbers matching motor even though it is a 305. Keep it numbers matching or make it fast? I do not plan on selling the car but I draw the line about being buried in it.....

Did some more searching and found that Silver81 used some dougs tri-y headers on his 81Z and they worked out for him. What do you think? Also need to find out how they will work out with AC.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my posts.

Lars_2Gen

Veteran Member
Dec 29, 2017
Fullerton, CA
I have a set of Doug Thorley tri-y headers for my '73... not installed yet. My car is in the body shop. But had a set on my last '73 and loved them. I bought another set... that should say something.

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
I don't think you'll find a complete bolt on exhaust system for our 2nd gens that will include headers, catalytic converter, pipes and mufflers. I can be wrong but I've never seen what you're asking for. Good luck with this project.

KMcHale

Dec 21, 2002
Nashville
I now have classic tags so I am getting rid of the smog pump and the catalytic converter. I no longer have to pass emissions. So looking at Doug's headers as opposed to Doug Thorley headers. Here is the link for the headers I am looking at https://shop.dougsheaders.com/doug-...74-metallic-ceramic-coating.html#.Wxc6qkgvzIV
On the specs they say I might have to modify the ignition lock but I am hoping someone (Silver81) has done this exact setup and can give me some advice about this. I also have AC but it is looking good on that front. Planning on ordering and installing the headers and if all goes well then I will order the Pypes SGF11R system with the Street Pro mufflers.