Headers and Wiring Harness'

Otto's Camaro

Aug 5, 2021
All: Short time member here but do want to thank you all for your opinions. Im in the middle of a restoration gone bad which is purchased about 4 months ago. 1970 Camaro Z28. Looking for suggestions: Headers/Exhaust - is there a system out there that someone has used which did not interfere with the reverse lockout on the steering column? Current vehicle had it removed, Im looking to get it to working and cannot find a reputable supplier who knows what Im talking about.

Wiriing Harness': Is there a particular manufacturer or site which has the "easiest" one to install? Not afraid to do the work, I just dont want to spend the money and have the need to make all the splices and terminal connections as well. I would prefer an almost OEM type set of harness' which can be removed and then easily replaced. Who makes the best easiest one?

Choke: Choke spring was removed and the manifold is not OE. Holley 4557 unit and I ordered an electric unit from Holley. At installation, some things were not looking good. I contacted Holley who told me the person I talked to didnt know what he was talking about and that this carb cannot be retrofitted to an electric choke. Accordgin to the Holley Employee, my carb has been "divorced". Any suggestions for a choke assembly without going to manual?

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
1. Mine has fully functioning lockout and using hooker long tube headers- everything clears just fine. Not sure of model # but pic below to match them up.

2. American autowire (aaw) is the most popular for OEM style exact fit wiring harnesses. Painless is more custom designed to allow modifications for things like FI and requires cutting and fitting.

3. Looking at the list number thats a rare LS6/L78 carb worth some dough. Be aware it likely has tabs on the venturis to address lean cylinder conditions inherent on the bbc w/ low rise alum intake- less than ideal for the sbc. Personally, I’d sell it and find the right list # carb and intake. They are posted for sale now and then with carb price equal to what you can sell yours for and manifolds for $400-$600. Also, Be aware that the electric choke will likly interfere with the air cleaner assy fitting down all the way as it protrudes a bit. .

image.jpg

Last edited:

Otto's Camaro

Aug 5, 2021
Rosster: Thanks so much. Ill do more research on carb and choke. This has been an awful lot of fun. Im very much looking forware to getting it done and on the road.

BillyDean7173

Psychopathy Red
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
That looks like the car my buddy Rich was selling. I remember when he brought the car home. He's right across the border from you in Wisconsin and the time frame of the sale is about right.

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
Rosster: Thanks so much. Ill do more research on carb and choke. This has been an awful lot of fun. Im very much looking forware to getting it done and on the road.

there are 4 holley list #s for the 70 z28. Based on stick or auto and na9 evap emissions or not. The website has all the details for each in the resource section for 1970.

Latest posts