Headlight sockets

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by mjoc, Mar 13, 2020.

1. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

WHere can I find very good high quality HD versions of the headlight sockets for our head lights... Im running offroad H4 bulbs and want to make sure I dont melt the stock ones when I rewire the car.

Mike

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Check the specs on your lights. The wattage rating and/or current rating should tell you if you need anything special for sockets. Many headlights run in the 50-60 watt range, and on 12 volts, that is only 4-5 amps draw. It doesn't take much of a wire or socket to handle 5 amps.

3. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

they are 65w on low and 80W on high.. and will be running at 14volts

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Figure 12 volts because if the lights get turned on with the engine off, you have 12 volts.
    80watts / 12 volts = 6.67 amps. so you want your wiring and sockets capable of at least that much without suffering.

mjoc likes this.
  5. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

If you need new pigtails anyways, I used Summit SUM-890036 and am very happy with them. 14 gauge, nice thick plastic, and OEM style spade terminals - not the cheap stamped/rolled type. Made in USA too. They're likely reboxed Painless 80300 which use the same wire colors and size and are also made in USA.

I'm using them with some Hella ECE housings with Hella 100/80w H4 bulbs. Have the headlight switch set up to run relays instead so that the headlights get power direct from the battery. Not sure about running those bulbs through OEM wiring. Low beam is great with a nice modern style cutoff and high beam is spectacular, even without the 100/80w bulbs.

6. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Running the hella ECE housing here too will be running relays with the new wiring harness. thanks for the input will order the pigtails now.

Michael