Headliner Options

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by david.rosol, Jan 29, 2021.

1. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

Need to replace the headliner in my 77. I replaced the original one with one of the plastic ones from NPD a few years ago, but that thing sags worse than the original one did. Is there any good brands of headliners I could purchase from somewhere that won't sag? I thought about taking a heat gun to the NPD plastic one to maybe form it in place better, but wasn't sure how that would work. Thanks.

2. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

I take it there isn't anything better on the market. LoL.
    I'll try fixing my plastic one with the heat gun and see how that goes.

75Maro likes this.
  3. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Check with Aaron, 76_TypeLt, he bought something from eBay a few years ago that I thought he was fairly happy with. Seems like it was in about the $200 range. He hasn't been on here much the last couple of years but was recently.

4. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

theSalBoy did a one piece as well from Ebay.

Im not there yet, I need to figure out just how big of a PIA it would be to do, or pay someone to do. If its a couple hundred dollars, I may just pay someone to do, but I got a feeling its ganna be expensive, just like everything else on these cars.

5. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

I recently used the plastic board style purchased from summit. Seems to fit ok. I’m still missing the dome lamp so it’s got a small belly in the middle currently

6. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

I've tried several of them and didn't like the fit, the abs one is folded up in my attic right now. The only thing I was halfway happy with was making one out of fiberglass using my roof as the shape....you can see it towards the end of my build thread.

Robert stuart Bell likes this.
  7. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Can you recover the original board? That's my plan, pulling it out tonight. Lots of vids on YouTube. Doesn't look hard. I found a really good material match (black, perforated vinyl) at a local fabric shop.

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

^+1

If the original “cardboard” headliner is at all usable or repairable... Use it.

The top side can be reinforced with fiberglass.
    Tears can be bonded with Gorilla tape and dents on the interior side can be filled with spot putty and sanded smooth again.

Not many members have been happy with the ABS panels as a replacement.

I’ve recovered mine twice over the past 30 years.

9. Popper

Popper Veteran Member

What Twisted said... try to use the factory hardboard and recover it if its not to beat up or warped. Be careful and patient taking the factory units out. Some bungees over the roof will help keep things stable while you R&R. I did mine three years ago and it turned out fantastic - I used HVAC tape to hold the broken/ripped sections and then fiberglassed the high wear or broken areas. Make sure to clean the headliner a few times before installing new material and map out your glue down process by doing a couple of trial runs on your procedure... fold half over and work from the middle out on one side then tackle the other side. Use the better 3m glue i think it is super 90???. Spray the material and also spray the headliner board. Make sure you do not use to much spray glue as it will work its way through the perforated holes. Work from the center out. good luck

TTR230 likes this.
  10. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip on the glue. I'm not sure that would have occurred to me, and I have a more-is-better personality, so I would for sure had glue-ooze.