heater blower wire

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by mcrotty, Oct 16, 2010.

1. mcrotty

mcrotty Veteran Member

I am trying to get some things done on my 1979 camaro so I can drive it this winter. The previous owner cut all the wires for the A/C. The box is gone so I'll get the A/C delete box. I don't know what color the blower wire is. There is 5 or 6 wires but no orange. I thought it was an orange wire. I guess I'm wrong. The wiring diagram isn't helping me. Can someone help me?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  2. mech393

mech393 Veteran Member

i dont have a picture or schematic, but look at your fan switch there should be a common wire which will be hot which will feed individual wires depending from going from low to high fan speed , you may find that they might match your blower. but i think becauce it had a air conditioning system that the wire colors will change because they went to different switches and relays first.you can check voltage in the wires close to the blower see if any are hot if so mark it, find how many wires go into the blower, if its two then i think voltage goes into the blower coming out and going to negitive through the blower switch, now i dont know if the resistor is built into the switch or its external if its external then the wires need to be ohmed from the switch to the resistor and to the blower.if you ohm these wires out be sure to disconnect your battery.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

If you look at the relay, there should be a thick orange wire. That is the blower hot wire. The hot in, is the red going into the relay.

[​IMG]

4. mech393

mech393 Veteran Member

i was looking at a 1978 wiring diagram i couldnt find a 79 diagram and the wirng is red is battery hot, tan is the feed wire to the blower, black is negitive,dark blue goes to the fan resistor and blower switch the wiring goes to a fan relay fan switch, a fan resistor and thermal switch which is both wires are tan which goes to the blower motor, i would jump this because you dont have ac any more. if you look at your fan relay and look where the wires go. the battery check for power look at each number and match to the next componet it goes to, ohm each wire to the components go down the line to make sure you have all connection going to all components ounce you know this then you can test each part to see if it works, like the fan relay 968 is pos. and wire 150 is neg. you can apply voltage to wire 968 and neg to wire 150 to close the contactor then put a ohm meter to wire 101 and 63 to see if you have countinuity through the tips.but if the 79 diagram colors are the same then tan is the feed wire to the blower if theres a connector hanging close to the blower then jump it to the blower and see if it runs.or put a test light on the tan wire and turn on the fan switch to see if it runs if not the thermal delay switch may need to be jumped i believe it has to do with ac pressure, if ac oressure is low or high the switch wont close and the blower fan wont run, im guessing on this part.

5. mcrotty

mcrotty Veteran Member

Is there a way to just hard wire the fan with out all the relays. I've got nothing past the fire wall. I guess I am:confused:

6. RePhil

RePhil Veteran Member

If you wire it direct you will only have one fan speed.

7. mech393

mech393 Veteran Member

if you wire it direct you still need to use the relay to carry the load from the blower or you will burn up your switch, if you look at your relay the two large wires coming off of the relay one wire from battery and one to the blower the two inner wires are the coil wires to close the relay, now you could wire a positive to your fan switch and from the fan switch to the contolling wire to the relay and from the other wire from the relay to ground so when you flip the blower fan switch on it will close the relay allowing battery voltage to go through the relay to the blower motor it will work but you will have high speed all the time.

8. mcrotty

mcrotty Veteran Member

Sounds like there is no simple fix. I guess I'll have to find another a/c car in the junk yard and cut the harness from the firewall and put mine back together that way. There's just not many junk cars around here.

9. mech393

mech393 Veteran Member

what i just wrote before is about as simple as you can do it, even if you find a harness that may not fix your problem, remember your car was ac and the wiring was set up for the relays and switches for ac which are in line before the blower fan. do you know anyone where you live that understands electrical wiring that can help you? also you said there was five or six wires by the blower on your schematic look at the blower one wire is black,that would be ground if the other wire coming off the blower is tan then look at the five or six wires and see if theres a same color wire if not use a 12 volt test light check each wire with the blower switch on and then when its off if you find that one wire does this when you turn the switch on and off then thats the wire you hook up to the blower you do this with the ignition key on if none of the wires have no power then other components are missing when the owner took off the ac.

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

[​IMG]