Heater hose connection at intake manifold

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Bernie Chaback, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Bernie Chaback

Bernie Chaback Member

Can someone post a pic of the heater hose connection at the intake manifold please? Seems all hoses now are somewhat bulk and not molded (shaped at intake manifold end) and I would like to go back to OEM appearance so hose fittings, hose, clamps, etc. are on their way. Just seems with a straight fitting there's an issue behind the alternator and I don't want the hose to kink. Why am I replacing my lines you ask? So the radiator is being recored at BJR, replaced the heater core and the heater lines removed were Russell with AN fittings so... thanks in advance.

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The hose at the intake is not even close to the alternator. Factory hoses are not bent and never were, they are straight and bought from GM from a roll where you specify the length. Who told you they are angled to fit? Maybe aftermarket has a curve in it but highly unlikely.

506F9EA2-C9CD-4315-A179-2FFCF433501F.jpeg

FBFFC907-92F4-41F5-8EFC-382133B73422.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can get angled fittings if you need for clearance. Like COPO said, heater hoses are straight. If you have a big block, there is a 090* hose from water pump to intake manifold.

4. Bernie Chaback

Bernie Chaback Member

Thanks everyone - so even though it's a 1972 Z-28, unfortunately my engine is a 1967 327 and it may be hard to see in the photo but the fitting on the intake is somewhat behind the alternator. One of my thoughts is to use the Russell NPT to AN with a 90 degree like I had but use the 5/8 heater hose - think I'm stuck with that solution unless anyone has another idea as I don't believe the straight NPT connector will provide clearance without the hose kinking.
    Regarding the hose being bent, or "formed" with a curve, I had read it on one of the threads as I've been mining for information on this subject but I haven't seen any hose like that on the market except of course the radiator hoses which are formed. Thanks for the feedback.

Attached Files:

5. Bernie Chaback

Bernie Chaback Member

Mark - odd question - I see you're in Ontario - you don't by chance have any affiliation with TTC do you?

6. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don’t have anything to do with TTC, what made you ask that?

8. Bernie Chaback

Bernie Chaback Member

Zstar and Jodi like this.
  9. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Your problem would seem to lie in the use of a pre-69 style intake with the alternator being in the 69 & up position. Were you to keep the alternator where it is and use a different intake OR move the alternator to the 68 & down location you would not have the heater hose interference.

Or you could just buy an angled fitting like you did :D

10. Bernie Chaback

Bernie Chaback Member

Thank you flowjoe - I did think about moving the alternator but had installed power steering earlier this year and also have rams horn exhaust manifolds so really didn't want to add more brackets to the left side but still, another possibility. I am waiting for a Dayco 80408 5/8 hose to arrive Monday which "should" work. And if not, I do have 5/8 heater hose and can always pick up so brass fittings and create a 90 at the manifold for clearance - just looking for something more "original" or clean in appearance even though my child is a bit of a bastard ('67 327 in '72 Camaro). It's a great little small block and I just picked up my Q-jet from the shop (rebuilt) and converted the mechanical choke to electric and have it all set up but first I need to finish my plumbing. Thanks again for the feedback.

Regards,

Bernie