Heater hose connection at intake manifold

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Bernie Chaback, Nov 14, 2020.

1. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well, post up with your final solution. :happy:

2. NorCal_71

NorCal_71 Veteran Member

This would be a good time to upgrade to an aluminum manifold, this would solve your heater hose problem and also get rid of the oil fill tube that no 2nd gen Camaros came with. Also would give you a little better performance.

3. Bernie Chaback

Bernie Chaback Member

Final Assembly.jpg New radiator hoses.jpg Re-cord Radiator.jpg Return heater hose port on manifold.jpg Return hose clearance.jpg Return hose without bracket.jpg

Photos of work in progress and a few notes - Dayco hose with molded end provided nice clearance behind alternator bracket. When I removed lower radiator hose there was a support spring inside that was half sucked up into the water pump. Also lower radiator hose was looking a bit rough. Wasn't planning on it but it was bugging me so I also replaced the thermostat - turns out it was 160 - read posts about those and decided on 180. Also replaced (but of course) the radiator cap. Took it out for a drive around the block this morning and noticed a lot of town trucks prowling around just waiting for snow to come and start spreading salt so looks like it's garaged for the season. Lastly, I added all the support brackets on the top of the alternator and the passenger side fender which I hadn't required in the past since I had Russel lines which were removed/replaced with conventional heater hoses. My wife already asked me this morning what am I going to do the rest of the winter? FYI I also had my Q-jet rebuilt and I added an electric choke to it but that's going to wait to be installed and tuned spring 2021.

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks good.

Bernie Chaback likes this.
  5. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

That molded hose seems to have done the trick...looks a lot cleaner than a 90 degree set up would have.

Bernie Chaback likes this.