HEI no spark issue

DanMan73

Jun 19, 2022
Hello folks,

I just installed a complete crate blueprint 400 in my 1973 Camaro and cannot get it to fire. Initially, I attempted to convert the HEI to run with the MSD 6al that was previously in the car but was unable to get the car to start with that setup. I returned everything back to the way the motor was sent to me and did away with the MSD. The motor still had no spark. I tested the control module, coil, and pickup coil with an ohm meter and it all tested fine. Went ahead and replaced the coil, control module, and capacitor anyways with no luck. There is 12v on the batt wire to the distributor with key in the on position. I also tried running the batt wire straight to a battery source on the fuse box with no results. The car has a new EZ wiring harness that the previous owner had installed professionally and ran with a different motor.
After letting the car sit for a couple weeks, it fired up for about two seconds, sounded healthy, and shut off. This was with the distributor wired to the pink ignition wire (not straight to batt). Then it just continued to crank with no spark.
The car has a good battery, new starter, and all the ground connections are solid. I tried contacting blueprint with no response. Before I pull out the distributor to change the pickup coil next, does anyone have any tips or suggestions.

Thanks everybody in advanced for you respectful responses.

Last edited:

92RS305

Keeping the sound of Cammed V8s alive and well.
Feb 14, 2019
Arizona
Assuming cap, rotor, wires and etc. Are ok.... And good ground and the "Batt" Connection has 12 v dc key on engine off (KOEO) and 12 v dc while cranking... and module is good... The only thing that will cause this and happens enough is the pickup coil. It is mounted to the base plate that moves during advance and the 2 small wires break. Without that signal the HEI will not fire.

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
Like said above, the pickup coil is the only thing left. I had one go out on me, took a bit of head scratching to diagnose the issue. Unfortunately, the distributor has to come out and taken apart. There are diagrams online, let us know if you need help.

BTW - Welcome to NastyZ.

Edit - here's a short youtube video on how to test.

Last edited:

PNW.Paul

Veteran Member
Feb 8, 2022
I just had the same battle! For me, it turned out to be a bad HEI coil. Even though it ohm tested correctly, it couldn't handle the amps. I doubt your new coil would be a factory defect, but it's possible. Also, since this is an engine replace, be sure you have the engine ground strap to frame secure. Obvious, but necessary....did you confirm TDC and rotor alignment? Good luck.

Vettenick

Vettenick
Jul 17, 2019
Check the bottom side of the cap. Sometimes the coil mounting screws pierce through the cap and the spark jumps to the screw.

92RS305

Keeping the sound of Cammed V8s alive and well.
Feb 14, 2019
Arizona
It sounds like you are doing all the right things, but another item as silly as it sounds, is check under the cap and make sure the button is there and didn't accidently fall out.

Another brought up a good point on the Tach connector.

Tie in a cheap $35 tach (Autozone/O Reillys) and hook it up. Try to start. Does the tach move? If not... it's not getting signal and without that it will not start.

Latest posts