Helicoil advice on crank snout - I'm a thread too long

Edem_Alive

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 18, 2015
Montana
Hey guys, I drilled, tapped, and installed two helicoils but as you can see the last one is just about 1 rotation too long. Should I attempt to snap it sideways or grind it or..?

0d110ef71c.jpg

Edem_Alive

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 18, 2015
Montana
The problem is that I cannot screw in the screw because the helicoil spring pressure is holding it out like that. So I can't get the threads started. Should I try loctite and clamping it into the bottom for a while?

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
I see the problem....
Your crank is too short. :eek:

Can you grab the tail end off the insert with a needle-nose pliers and twist it back out?
The installation tool is made for installation.
A Heli-coil insert tends to bind if you try to back it out from the inside tang using the installation tool.

If you can back it out... I would trim a full coil off of another insert before attempting to re-install.

Good luck!

Edem_Alive

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 18, 2015
Montana
I had already broken the tang unfortunately. It also has red loctite and sat overnight this way so not sure how easily it would come out.

70-camaro

Veteran Member
Mar 25, 2010
marietta ohio
Seal every thing needed with masking tape. Run an allen screw in crank. You can buy very small cut off wheel for a die grinder. Maybe even cut it off with a small dia burr.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
^ Good Answer
An internal-head allen screw just might get past that extra helicoil thread.

If you can score the insert with a jeweler's file... You may be able to break off that "extra" thread with an allen screw holding the rest of it in place.
Removing the allen screw should then flatten any burr which should allow a bolt to thread back into the crank.

upload_2017-3-10_11-19-41.png

Good Luck!!!