Hello from TN with my 81 z28 coupe

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Dave Taylor, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor New Member

I picked this car up in a trade and I found a bunch off stuff I didn't like or wasn't right, and it begins, I took the front clip of because of alignment issues and electrical problems, and while I was at it I figured it needs vintage heat and air conversion the factory stuff was all messed up too, and it need a few tings in the interior fixed but overall a good solid car, I also found pinched brake lines so it needs a good go through and set things right, so I also found the engine rpo code wrong, but I have a 1968 Camaro 327 aluminum head roller motor recently built with a good trans that's going in, none of the gauges work either lol, so it now it has jegs gauges and a autometer dash panel, I installed a painless wiring system, i put in the vintage heat and air system, the dash will get caped this week, and as long as i have the whole front end off i will be installing new fender wells, new fenders, new front cover, not sure on the hood yet it is a 4" cowl hood ill see how it lines up, I will also need to replace the z28 tail lights as some goof has spray tinted them and there is a couple cracks, from what i decoded from the body tag this is a LA build 1981 sport coupe z28 t-top car for what that's all worth I don't know.

Attached Files:

2. Jerry73Z28

Jerry73Z28 Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
    I look forward to watching your progress.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome!

You’ve done a lot of work on it already!

If you’re using aftermarket fender wells and fenders… They can be a challenge to fit and align.

Good luck with the rest of your project.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good luck with your project, looks like you have a bit of a head start. What part of TN? Several members are from the Volunteer State.

5. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor New Member

Eastern TN in the corner by KY and VA, yes I have the 327 on hand all ready the rest needs done before it can be driven, I have had it about a month and I am retired so I am able to get stuff done fairly quickly, and being a master tech for 35 years helps a lot, but when I picked it up all it did was start and run literally nothing else worked, but knowing the Camaro a bit and looking for some tell tale signs of what it actually is, I seen it was a z28 I didn't know it was a sport coupe till after I ran the body tag, but the trunk has 1 rust spot and the left front fender at the very bottom has some rust, I did put the car up on my hoist and its clean nothing underneath, it did have frame connectors on it, and I haven't been able to determine the gear ratio yet but it is a corp 8.5 but it will get 3:73 gears anyway.

6. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That gonna be sharp looking Camaro.
    Welcome aboard

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

8. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor New Member

prob

9. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Frame connectors with the T-tops, good move there for sure. Good looking project too.

10. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dang that engine looks fierce! Welcome aboard.