Help being over run with Muscovy ducks!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by crazypurgatory, Jul 1, 2020 at 4:31 AM.

1. crazypurgatory

crazypurgatory Veteran Member

So I want to be clear about this I have lived in the same house for 39 years now and I have never seen a duck until about 6-7 months ago. A neighbor down the street is feeding them and there multiplying there is over 12 of them. They come over to my house and crap all over my driveway on my mail box. I can't even feed the birds or leave a bird bath out so the birds can have some water! Ive had enough of them I was here first and I'm not the one feeding them. I called animal care and control no luck I called code enforcement I even called the police for help. Finley I called Florida Fish and Wildlife. They told me to call a animal trapper. I can't afford to pay to catch and kill 12 or more ducks. I can shoot the ducks in the city. I don't want to buy a trap and then I have to find a place to shoot them.
    What I need is a high Power pellet refile that will kill them something cheap that I can put a laser sight on because I don't shoot much. I don't want to kill these evil ducks but at this point I have no choose. So if somebody can help me out I and give me some ideas on what I need to get on the cheap would appreciate it.

https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/nonnatives/birds/waterfowl/muscovy-duck/

2. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Shoot them while they are in your neighbors yard. That way he has to pick them up, and dispose of them. (Might not be long before he figures out who is doing it though)

crazypurgatory, Zstar and budro6968 like this.
  3. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^I'd be careful with that, that is a form of trespassing, I've been told(by a cop).

Have you considered a pet alligator? I hear they eat ducks :)

crazypurgatory likes this.
  4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

BBQ roast If your allowed to trap or kill them. My area is a bird sanctuary. I don't think you can kill them here. I do know a girl that caught a couple to raise and get eggs but she did not cut their wings and they flew away. They pooe all over the place at my kids school. Lucky I don't have them in my neighborhood. They are a couple blocks away from me. They hang by the ponds so it is not a big problem for me.

5. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I keep birds away from certain areas that I don't want them by cutting a section of old green garden hose. 3 feet if possible. Notch one end and put two black dots on it. Then hang it around a branch or so and as a bird comes in to land, they see the "snake" and fly off. I do feed the birds to keep them around for mosquito control.

Do you have a fishing rod and reel? Run the line across your yard and attach it to a faux snake or rubber alligator. When you see ducks, hide so they don't see you but drag the snake or alligator across the yard. They flee immediately in most cases.

As for shooting them, be sure you do NOT fire towards an inhabited structure. Here in Indiana they are pretty liberal about firearms, but THAT will have the cops at your door in short order.

crazypurgatory likes this.
  6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

gramps likes this.
  7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

How's your water pressure. One comes in your yard, hit it with a blast of water, maybe they'll learn?

8. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

I feel your pain. I grew up in Plantation. Our house was beside a drainage canal and the ducks were everywhere.
    Muscoveys are the dirtiest, nastiest creatures on earth, and you are right, they crap EVERYWHERE. Try the high
    water pressure water trick. That is what my dad and I used. After awhile they will get the message.

9. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

I’d second the GAMO pellet gun. Took out a few pesky rabbits from 30-40 yards. It’s got good power and accurate.

dcozzi and crazypurgatory like this.
  10. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

That's what happened on my lake, then the Gator was removed. Then the Ducks come back - too many neighbors feeding them. Since it's about to be 4th of July, I've been tossing M80s at them!

Zstar likes this.