Help diagnose weird cooking issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by turbobuick, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Don Evans

Don Evans New Member

Just saw the post were you had drilled a hole for air to get by.
    My phone didn't let me see that post, so I got into it in the middle. Lol.

2. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Pressure check the coolant system and test the radiator cap. Auto Zone and Advance Auto can loan you the coolant system tester.

Assuming the coolant system has no leaks and the cap tests good, buy a new Robert Shaw 180 degree thermostat and test it by putting it in a pan of cool water with a thermometer and slowly bring it to a boil. DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN IN THE THERMOSTAT! It already has a bypass built into it!

Install the new tested thermostat.

IMHO, fill the system with water because if there is still a problem, youre not going to lose expensive antifreeze. And antifreeze is TOXIC to the environment.

3. Misfire

Misfire Member

If a 170 degF is all it got to, that wont hurt a thing, coolant does expand when gets hot, why they make expansion tanks for cars, put new thermostat in, you can top off the coolant thru intake before installing thermostat, then you know block is full.

4. bones57

bones57 Member

Just vacuum fill it to prevent air lock and run an expansion tank

5. turbobuick

turbobuick Veteran Member

Just put everything back together. Going to let the rtv sealant cute and will start it up tomorrow. Will keep you guys updated thanks for the advice!!!’

6. turbobuick

turbobuick Veteran Member

Update:
    Filled up intake to right below T-stat with coolant. Installed 160 T stat. Started and let it warm up. Stat opened up right at 160 by feeling upper rad hose. Around 180 a tiny spit came out of overflow and stopped. Engine got up to 190 and electric fans kicked on and brought it back down to 160 real quick. Everything seems fine. I’m thinking it was a combination of overfilled system and an air bubble. Thanks for the info guys!!!!

7. xten

xten Veteran Member

Good news! Thanks for posting the results.

8. Big Block Z

Big Block Z New Member

I learned that trick from an " old timer " when I was young also . I too , still do it to this very day . I also " pinch " the Radiator Hose while filling with Coolant to encourage the air to escape .
    I too , am the Old Timer now !
    LOL