Help - front disc dust/rock gaurd question

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by TX78Z28, Jun 25, 2006.

1. TX78Z28

TX78Z28 Veteran Member

I'm installing all new brakes front and rear and on the first side, first wheel...I decided to do something dumb and pull the shield thats behind the front rotor off to clean it up. Of the 3 bolts that hold it down one decided to be a pain and snapped while trying to remove it. So I get my drill bit set out and start drilling a pilot whole for an easy out...get it just about where I want to go up to the next size and snap... the hardened drill bit breaks off inside the bolt. Now I cant drill past the end of that bit.

question - how important is that shield? if I run without it what damage might happen? needless to say I'm not interested in pulling the damn spindle to have the bolt hole drilled out and tapped...or replace the spindle.

2. Jet

Jet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Can you run it with just 2 bolts?

3. TX78Z28

TX78Z28 Veteran Member

looks like it will rattle. I may have to try it though. But I just hate to put things back together and then have to pull it apart again later.

4. Jet

Jet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

loc-tite the remaining bolts.

5. TX78Z28

TX78Z28 Veteran Member

I guess I'm going to try to rig up something temporary until I make the rounds on the front suspension and steering later on, then I'll get it drilled and tapped. I may try to tap into the whole I drilled and just use a shorter/smaller bolt for now. Car had new pads and shoes... but the rotors and drums were turned down too far plus the front axle bearings had very little grease in them. whoever did the brake job cleaned out the hubs and bearings real good...and then didn't pack them well so I'm guessing they would have failed anyway. not to mention the wet wheel cylinder and hardware at the left rear that they obviously overlooked. :screwup:

I just wished I left the backing plate alone...though I guess I would have found that troublesome bolt eventually.

6. jaykay-uk

jaykay-uk Veteran Member

try drilling small hole from behind, then get a punch in to knock broked drill bit out.