Help me pick a roller cam

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by JWZ28, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Rockhound

Rockhound Veteran Member

You'll loose a little compression with 64cc heads over the 305's 58cc. A decent set of 180cc or 195cc intake runner heads will really wake up your engine.

2. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

I ran that same cam in a 350 with AFR heads and ran like a bat out of h%ll, before I went to a stroker 388 motor. I'd spend the money on a good set of heads.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  3. Cataldo

Cataldo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If your going to spend the money spend on quality. Afr heads are excellent heads any way you slice them. There are other companies that make excellent heads, but personally afr packs a whole lot into their heads. Top quality pieces. If aluminum is out of your pricerange vortecs are excellent options. Just understand their potential and limits.

4. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Vortec heads for budget heads
    Jegs heads
    Summit brand alum heads
    Pro filers
    Brodix IK 180 heads
    AFR

Your headers will still work with vortec heads, temp sender is diff but you can get an adapter bushing or just move sender to intake.

Vortecs are great heads but truth be told, I would not spend alot of money having a machine shop build you a set. The idea behind using them is budget. Get a used set cheap, have them tested for cracks, put good cheap springs on them, grind the retainers to work with higher cam lift, and have a good set of heads that can make 400 HP for 500 bucks

If your spending more than that on them, there is better options with the aftermarket heads like I posted above.

5. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Thanks for all the input. I'll have to pick my engine builder's brain on some numbers for a set of modified vortecs. May be able to swing some budget aluminum heads if Santa is generous this year.

6. Cataldo

Cataldo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Great advice there!

7. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

8. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Those seem to be a pretty good head, there are three 5 star reviews on Summit's site. If you search Blueprint, you'll find quality reviews scattered all over but they've seemed to have improved over the past couple years.

9. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Ok so I know I'm going to go with a new set of heads, whether I have my builder do a vortec setup for me or go with a set of aluminum....

As far as aluminum heads go, how much flow is too much on the intake side?
    I'm seeing heads anywhere from 170cc to 210cc. From what I understand, too much will kill the velocity depending on the motor. Is there a "golden" number I should look for? I hear 180-185cc intake is a solid number that won't kill the low end.

10. Rockhound

Rockhound Veteran Member

180cc heads would compliment your engine combo very nicely. A set of 195cc heads would flow better but might be a little large for your setup right now. If you plan on getting a bigger cam and upping your compression in the future, the 195's would work good.