Help me please

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by DUANE BADGLEY, Aug 4, 2021.

1. DUANE BADGLEY

DUANE BADGLEY New Member

I am at a loss on this engine rebuild , I have a 1967 327 #3892657 block bored 30 over , so essentially a 350 c.i. , dish pistons , .465 lift cam I am installing aluminum heads 190cc , 64cc , 2.02/1.60 , i will use 7/16 stud roller rockers ,girdles or guides ? what pushrods will i need ? what head and intake gaskets ? torques ? i will use head studs and nuts ? spark plug holes are angled so what spark plugs ? So many question , but i need to do this right . Thanks in advance.

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Well, first off, welcome to NastyZ. May I ask if this engine is going into a second gen Camaro? , if so, we like Pic's and stories of second gen's....next question, you say you are at a loss in this build, does that mean you are the builder/assembler from A to Z-28 ?

I'll do my best to answer your questions:

1- A 327 .030 overbore is a 331.65 cubic inch, unless you have a 3.480 stroke crank in it, it's not a 350.

2- girdles or guides? If you mean stud girdle and guide plates, both, if you want upper valve train stability and roller location, unless they are self aligning rollers, then no guide plates to be used.

3- Push rods are the last thing to purchase due to various stacking tolerances, OEM length for your build is 7.800.

4- Most times when I build 327/350 sbc I like the FelPro 1003 or the 1010 head gaskets, a 190cc intake runner usually is good with a FelPro 1205 intake gasket. Follow GM TQ spec or cylinder head manufacturer specs and tq pattern.

5- I will use head studs and nuts?, Not being a dick head here, but is that a statement or question? Most times I use a good bolt kit, unless it's an aftermarket block with blind holes, and even at that, it's a pain to pull heads with studs when in the car, even on the dyno, it's a pain.

6- Spark plugs should be chosen on fitment & heat range-design based on the engine combo, compression/hp and fuel being used. Using the wrong plug because it's "short" to fit I'll fitting headers is not a good thing, use the right plugs, and quality headers that clear the angle plug design.

Now, a 331.65 cubic inch needs 79.5 total CC's at TDC top hit a nominal CR of 9.5:1. Take in the 1003 HG of 9.1 cc's, chambers of 64cc, and assume a zero deck, and you need only 6.4cc total negative piston volume, consider the valve reliefs on the "small" side at 4cc, that only leaves 2.4cc for the remainder of the "dish", so, question is, how many CC's is the dish.

Many dish pistons come in around 16cc total, that would put you at approx. 89cc @TDC, and that = 8.6 SCR, with those 195CC heads and only 331 cubes pulling on that runner, it may be a dog on the low end, and performance would really suffer.

As people often state, Aluminum heads can stand more compression than Iron, so you can run more compression, in fact, you NEED to run more compression to make up for the aluminum's natural ability to wick away the heat, after all, it's an "internal combustion" engine, sucks giving up power just loosing heat energy by way of a light weight casting choice. JMO

Hope this helps.

3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Just wondering if this NEW member will be one of those "NEW" sign ups that come on here, asks a bunch of questions, takes the info and never returns.

I hope not, but if so, I have a feeling that perhaps "NEW" members who asks questions and want information may be hit with just "crickets" and no responses.

checkmate201 and biker like this.
  4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Maybe a more strict registration process would discourage guys like that?

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

New members should have a 3 month waiting period before they can post IMO or maybe better, at least 100 messages. LOL.
    I get many crickets on Kijiji selling stuff. They ask if it’s available and that’s the end even though every ads 1st line in the description says, “If you see the ad then it’s still available”.
    I recently added “and please don’t ask”.
    One person asked questions about an item and I told him, please read the description. Some just read the title cause it’s too difficult to scroll down to read the description. Can’t fix stupid.

G72Zed I don’t think he going to understand 1/2 of what you said.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  6. biker

biker Veteran Member

I'm going to look for your stuff on kijiji. All I can picture is you selling gas powered wringer washers, hand made horse shoe nails and 2-handed buck saws. No wonder people ask questions. :)

7. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Do like some sites require, have a newbie section where they have to post in first to introduce themselves before posting on the rest of the site.

8. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

This is something I've noticed too often, newcomers join, bleed some brains and never participate here again. A waiting period before being able to post would be ideal.

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Go ahead https://www.kijiji.ca/m-my-ads/active/1

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

Could be that he is just a busy guy with limited internet time. However, I do find that the majority of guys with a 2nd gen F body fall into an age category that has the time and experience to contribute as well as receive help. Younger demographic swapping a small block into their Celica dont fit that description.

Dennis Wilkie likes this.