HELP! Need a picture(s) of a 1970-72 console with lid in the OPEN position (See Ref pics)

80WA7113

Veteran Member
May 22, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
I am about to restore my 1970 console and I need to recreate the rear edge of the storage bucket. I saw a horribly fuzzy parts reference picture that was really of no help. It looks like the rear edge curves up (???), but I can't tell for sure if it curves up at the back or lies flat.

Can someone please post a close up pic or pics of what the area indicated by the arrows looks like? I really need to see what that rear edge of the bucket does in order to replicate it. I've included a pic of mine indicating the missing are as well as the angle I need pics of.

TIA

Console Storage Lip 1.jpg

Console Open 1.jpg

80WA7113

Veteran Member
May 22, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
That was quick. Thanks COPO, that's exactly what I needed. Now I can see that there is indeed a lip at the back that I need to replicate as well. Also, thanks for the measurement. that will also prove to be extremely helpful.

Dave

80WA7113

Veteran Member
May 22, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
I did not know that product existed. For that fact, I did not know that the inside of the console box was flocked. Mine is completely gone, to the point I wouldn't have known it was ever there.

Yes, I'd definitely like to take this console to that level of restoration. Have you used this product before? If so, what was your experience with it.

I'll be doing some more research into flocking this evening. Thanks for the tip and the link.

70lt1z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 3, 1999
Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
I have not actually used it myself but will be. Still on my list of things to do. I have seen postings I remember on the first gen site Camaros.org using it. They were the only company I found with such a product. Also, does your ashtray door still spring shut? There are small springs on the lid that snap it shut that are frequently missing.

80WA7113

Veteran Member
May 22, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
I got busy looking into flocking last night and this morning, and will definitely be doing this to the interior of the storage compartment when the resto is completed. I will post the results (with pics, of course) in my thread here: 1970 Console - I think this CAN be restored!

Another place I will be using it will be in the glove box that came with the Vintage Air kit. VA includes a shiny ABS plastic glove box with their kit that just looks cheap. Flocking it should make it looks like it actually belongs.

My ashtray springs are in place and working like they should.

One thing I do need is one bumper for the console storage compartment door. One of mine must have gone MIA when that piece of the storage compartment edging broke off. I can not find those bumpers available anywhere online.