Help with Accessories/Parts

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by ratpatrol71z28, Oct 3, 2016.

1. ratpatrol71z28

ratpatrol71z28 Veteran Member

Hey guys so I would like to get a few things but I need help figuring out what is good and where to find them. If you can help me with any of these, even just your $.02 is appreciated!!!
    • 1. Cyberdyne O2 Sensor kit with gauge. To check the richness of the engine... Possibly any other kits that are good for that? I can't find the kit on Summit...
    • 2. Thermocoupler? (I think that is what it is called)- a sensor that is on new cars, goes on the side(or inside) of radiator instead of going into the block. It controls turning on the electric fan.... long story short, the one in the block failed to turn on the fan when driving one day. :screwup: I do not want that to happen again.
    • 3. I will be running a Champion Aluminum Rad that is a 3 row, plus aluminum water pump and manifold... now I have heard I should run something special in the coolant that new cars with alumium blocks have... now what is that called and how much should I be mixing in with the distilled water and antifreeze?
    • 4. Fuel Regulator- around 6psi I should be running. I'm currently running a Holley DP 650 but will be jetting it up hopefully to a 750 range.
    • 5. Oil Dipstick- for 86-up one piece rear main seal with passenger side dip stick, I have heard bad things of the Lokar ones but I have been thinking this Milodon stick: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-22005 has anyone tried this or have any other suggestions.... how are the cheaper brands in the price range of $30 looking similar to this one?
    Any help is great! Thank you.

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

1. I can't speak for Cyberdyne, but the guys I know who are serious run the AEM Wideband O2 gauge
    http://www.aemelectronics.com/products/gauges/wideband-uego-air-fuel-gauges

2. There are a whole bunch of these, I ran a Flex-A-lite for many years with no failures

3. Just plain old antifreeze/water 50/50 mix is fine. I do recommend running a sacrificial anode for additional protection from Electrolysis
    http://www.ve-labs.net/products/rad-cap

4. 6 PSI is on the high side of the range, but fine. There is no "jetting up a carb" to make it flow more CFM. Jets control air/fuel mixture, that's all they do.

5. In my experience the Lokar dipsticks are the best on the market.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  3. ratpatrol71z28

Oh thanks for your .02 again Lowend! Slowly but surely I am learning more. I will definitely look into all of these more. I did not know about that electrolysis problem, very interesting. Can the anode be added to an existing cap or just a cap entirely?

4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Any time you put dissimilar metals together you will get some electrolysis. The only way the anode works is that it's a "softer" metal and will get eaten first.
    You could probably add an anode to your existing radiator cap, but for the effort it's probably worth buying one. There are a few companies that sell anodes as radiator plugs. In theory you could just drop a small block of Zinc into your radiator and it would work, but I don't think having it loose in there is a good plan

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Change the rad fluid every few years and you have no problem. My aluminum rad looks like new inside going on like 9 years. 50/50 AF and distilled water.

ratpatrol71z28 likes this.
  6. ratpatrol71z28

Nothing to it Bonzo? That's it..... Kind of like changing oil, just keep up the maintenance and it should be okay.

7. ratpatrol71z28

Lowend, on the radiators how many extra ports do we actually have? I ask because I plan to add the thermo switch into the radiator. Hopefully there is two on this new Champion rad I ordered.

8. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

rat they sell a radiator cap that has an anode hanging off of it, just do a google search it should come up.

I have one on my radiator.