Help with more parts recognition

80Zcorn

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2016
Israel
Hi
I'm looking for some information about parts and areas in my car.
1. seems like there was something welded on the frames it's close to the rear body frame bushings and they parallel seems like there was a custom cross member there. Is it possible there was a different cross member at the rear of the frame??
PXL_20220217_131418227.jpg PXL_20220217_131429630.jpg

2. What are the big holes in the firewall? around 1.5" diameter.
One is above the fusebox (pictured) and one is on the other side (passenger side) I want to plug them so no water will get inside.

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-15 at 9.12.10 PM.jpeg
3. What is this line? Look like it comes from the gas tank (?) and it is plugged too. (It comes from under the booster).
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-15 at 9.12.11 PM (1).jpeg
4. I'm not sure is visible but there's an L shape metal bracket at the driver's side. It holds the driver-side brake line but it seems too big to hold only that.
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-15 at 9.12.11 PM (2).jpeg
5. What is this canister? It doesn't look original. What is its purpose? Seems like one hose going to the brake booster and the other is to the intake manifold (?). What is its job? What was there originally?
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-15 at 9.12.11 PM.jpeg
6. I tried to attach the rear bumper guards and the flares. While all the holes match. There weren't any holes in the body where there are the lower holes of the guards or the flares. Is it normal? This is how Z28 was built? Should I drill holes? Tap?
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-15 at 9.12.12 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-05-15 at 9.12.13 PM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-05-15 at 9.12.13 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-05-15 at 9.12.12 PM (2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-05-15 at 9.12.12 PM (1).jpeg

Thank you all!

Brew61

Jul 7, 2021
(1) the frame that you are referring to looks like the rear of the front sub frame. That pieces they cut off would be the rear transmission cross member. Have no idea why they cut it because it is bolted on both ends, could of just undid the bolts.
But they also butchered the body mounts with those rubber pads. Go out and buy the proper body mounts for that.

(2) the hole in the fire wall is not on mine. I have the dimple there but the hole was never put in, so I am assuming it would of been for a wiring harness for an option I dont have.

(3) there are two steel lines coming up from there. one is your rear brake line the other is for your Emission system from your gas tank which is suppose to go to the canister that you are asking about in question 5

(4) that bracket is the same as mine with nothing attach to the large flat piece. Just a hole drilled in it.

(6) there should be holes drilled in there. I am assuming there was some body work done on that side and the holes were never drilled in. The piece for the end of your bumper has 2 studs towards the top that go through the quarter panel with nuts on the inside of your trunk. The bottom hole just uses a chrome sheet metal screw through the quarter panel.

Hope that helps a bit

Bruce

80Zcorn

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2016
Israel
(1) the frame that you are referring to looks like the rear of the front sub frame. That pieces they cut off would be the rear transmission cross member. Have no idea why they cut it because it is bolted on both ends, could of just undid the bolts.
But they also butchered the body mounts with those rubber pads. Go out and buy the proper body mounts for that.

(2) the hole in the fire wall is not on mine. I have the dimple there but the hole was never put in, so I am assuming it would of been for a wiring harness for an option I dont have.

(3) there are two steel lines coming up from there. one is your rear brake line the other is for your Emission system from your gas tank which is suppose to go to the canister that you are asking about in question 5

(4) that bracket is the same as mine with nothing attach to the large flat piece. Just a hole drilled in it.

(6) there should be holes drilled in there. I am assuming there was some body work done on that side and the holes were never drilled in. The piece for the end of your bumper has 2 studs towards the top that go through the quarter panel with nuts on the inside of your trunk. The bottom hole just uses a chrome sheet metal screw through the quarter panel.

Hope that helps a bit

Bruce
Thanks for the answers they helped a lot!

1. I meant the rear part of the subframe. True. But it's not the trans cross-member since there's a cross-member where there's should be one. Please ignore the bushings. I already installed solid ones. The rubber pads were a totally stupid thing the last owner did.
PXL_20220518_131322946.jpg
3+5. Doesn't seems right. I don't know what is this part's purpose or if it is original but there are major differences in the diameter sizes of the different lines. The metal line that comes from the tank is plugged as shown.
The lines from this canister are much bigger rubber hoses. One is going to the brake booster and one is to the intake manifold.
PXL_20220518_132431214.jpg PXL_20220518_132352025.jpg PXL_20220518_132436678.jpg
6. I guess they did do some kind of bodywork since the other side (flare) does have the hole there. Although both bumper guard sides do not have the bottom holes.
Guess I'll just drill it and insert the right screw...

wayne scott

Nov 4, 2019
Hi
I'm looking for some information about parts and areas in my car.
1. seems like there was something welded on the frames it's close to the rear body frame bushings and they parallel seems like there was a custom cross member there. Is it possible there was a different cross member at the rear of the frame??
View attachment 141074 View attachment 141075

2. What are the big holes in the firewall? around 1.5" diameter.
One is above the fusebox (pictured) and one is on the other side (passenger side) I want to plug them so no water will get inside.

View attachment 141076
3. What is this line? Look like it comes from the gas tank (?) and it is plugged too. (It comes from under the booster).
View attachment 141077
4. I'm not sure is visible but there's an L shape metal bracket at the driver's side. It holds the driver-side brake line but it seems too big to hold only that.
View attachment 141078
5. What is this canister? It doesn't look original. What is its purpose? Seems like one hose going to the brake booster and the other is to the intake manifold (?). What is its job? What was there originally?
View attachment 141079
6. I tried to attach the rear bumper guards and the flares. While all the holes match. There weren't any holes in the body where there are the lower holes of the guards or the flares. Is it normal? This is how Z28 was built? Should I drill holes? Tap?
View attachment 141082 View attachment 141083 View attachment 141084 View attachment 141081 View attachment 141080

Thank you all!

Attachments

• emission.jpg
    emission.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 28
  • canistor.jpg
    canistor.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 29

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
I'd double check those big vacuum lines. The big line to the brake booster should be a direct connect to the intake manifold or a big fitting on the back of the carb.

Latest posts