Help with some dash wiring

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Adams, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Adams

Adams Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

From Motown (still in the blood), live in Houston
    Two questions on my 71 Z:
    1. This short brown wire (pic attached) off the harness from the fuse box, Brown usually means a light but I don't have any missing light connections that I know of? I already have a light brown wire that goes to the e-brake switch.
    2. Don't seem to have a wire to the clock in the M&H harness. They are usually pretty good about having everything. What color is the wire and does it have a single female connector spade, like the back of the clock? What color is it, because I don't see it in my wire diagram?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Maybe put a test light to it and see when it gets power? Not sure, but I think mine was for the driver's side foot well light. Test light on mine would only come on with a door pin switch, or if the H/L switch was turned all the way to the left (counter-clockwise)

3. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Does your 71Z have factory ac? AC wiring is not shown in the electrical schematic. Could be a wire for an accessory that you do not have. I have such a wire (not the same color)

4. Pierre74LT

Pierre74LT Member

i think it is the power for the heater fan

5. Bills69

Bills69 Veteran Member

on a gauge dash brown wire was for the tach ?

6. Adams

Adams Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

From Motown (still in the blood), live in Houston
    I will look into this. Might be a good call. The back of the tach is on the circuit board but I am not sure how the signal gets to the harness plug on the back of the cluster housing.

7. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I am just wiring my Camaro by the picture it looks like the heater wire download painless wiring manual. from their manual.
    Brown: 14 gauge wire, printed #904 HEATER SWITCH POWER INPUT. This connection will be a 30 amp, ignition switch power source, from the A/C-HEAT fuse on the fuse block. This wire can be seen in the Accessory Schematic on page 80 and also in the Heater Only Schematic on page 67.
    upload_2020-12-16_21-28-2.png

8. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

It goes to the heater/AC control panel, if yours is like my 72, its there even if the car has no AC. I wondered about this also so I traced it back to the fuse box using an ohms meter

Attached Files: