Hey can I post on a 56 step side thats part Camaro ??

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Bobo, Jan 16, 2010.

1. mmike

mmike Member

I used a sheet of 3/4 oak, then route groves for the rails, it's a lot cheaper then buying boards. Installs a lot faster and simpler

2. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Sorry Bobo I got side tracked yesterday, 70 degrees outside and I had to take the bike for a ride.

Bed wood widths are (a)4 1/2", (c)5", and (b)7"

Layout from drivers side to passenger side is: A, B, C, B, B, C, B, A

mmike - I looked into the plywood first but with my bed width being 50 1/4" wide it didn't give me a good feeling to not have any support for the bed sides. Just my .02

3. Camarofanatic73

Camarofanatic73 Veteran Member

Hey Bobo- sorry to hear about your fishin' buddy & wife.

Great lookin' project tho...
    I've got a '55 shortbed that I'm hoping to get started this spring and start up a progress thread.

My first items to attend to on my '55 will be to re-wire it and re-locate the
    gas tank to the rear.

4. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Camarofanatic73 - relocating the gas tank outside the cab is the best thing I ever did. Frees up a bunch of space behind the seat and also gets rid of the gas fumes.
    Good luck on the project.

5. Camarofanatic73

Camarofanatic73 Veteran Member

What tank did you use?
    I'll probably go with this style:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0377683019&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Just gotta decide if I want a bed fill or come up with a clean side fill.

Here it is-
    http://s653.photobucket.com/albums/uu257/Planet_8/

6. Rock Arnold

Rock Arnold Member

I used a tank from no-limit engineering with a side fill option. 18 gallons and it fit between the rear frame rails behind the rear axle. I can send some pictures if you have an email address.

7. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

Thanks for taking the time to measure that ..Sure is a odd set up ..Hey if it were 70 degrees up here Ild be on the bike to .. Camaro fanatic ..Good luck on your 55 ..Thanks for the sorry about the wife thing ..I just tell people Im gonna lose a 120 pounds of useless fat ..They ask how ?? Well Im getting a divorce ..L.O.L.. The gas tank thing seems like a great Idea .Its in my future plans ..Being a smoker I just dont like the idea of 20 gallons of gas 6 inchs behind my butt ..I wonder if a guy could pick up a fuel cell out of a stock car and mount it between the frame rails ?? That tank you showed where does the filler tube end up ??

8. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

Email me at [email protected] Thanks ..Ya wouldnt have any spare parts would you ??

9. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

Camarofanatic I checked the pics of your future truck .. It looks pretty solid ..Thats a Cameo truck to ..Fairly rare truck I think ..Dont believe they made many fleet sides that year ..

10. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Camarofantic - I used one of the no limit tanks and it is a bed fill type, I think its about 15 gals. Looks like you have some work ahead of you. I'm pretty sure that bed is off a 58 or 59.

Bobo - no problem, let me know if you need any other measurements. The only thing left original is most of the frame and the sheet metal.