Hey can I post on a 56 step side thats part Camaro ??

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Bobo, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Camarofanatic73

Camarofanatic73 Veteran Member

Ya- the bed is from a '58-'59 Shortbed Apache truck. I prefer the
    fleetside look over stepside, but parts are harder to find for the fleetside (the rear pass. end cap is a little beat, but salvageable)
    Does anybody have some fleetside emblems that they would like to sell?

Thoughts on front end mods?
    I plan on keeping the straight axle, but swap it for a 3" dropped I-beam.

2. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

If you plan on going with a drop axle, there really isn't much else to do for the front suspension other than to upgrade the brakes and maybe add power steering.

Sorry I deleted all of my emblems years ago, only one left is on the front of the hood and that is just to help open it.

3. Camarofanatic73

Camarofanatic73 Veteran Member

I plan on keeping it simple other than 4 wheel disc brakes and power steering.

The only emblems I'm missing are for the fleetside bed and being that style was only made for 2 years, the emblems can be pricey for good originals.

4. mmike

mmike Member

My fuel fill is in the fender.

DSC00563.JPG

5. Rock Arnold

Rock Arnold Member

Bobo-- i have pictures of the front camaro frame graft aswell, but will have to scan them on a disk and send them to you if you need them.

6. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

Thanks but I think im gonna stay with the stock frame Who knows maybe someday Ill build her back to original .For now Im gonna update the front brakes to disc .Add a newer master cylinder with power brakes and put in the Camaro rear end because ild like to do more than 60 mph on the hiway . Stock gears are like 5 somethings .. I think that Ibeam axle is well ... Kinda sexy ...L.O.L..A friend of mine had one of these years ago . He said he removed the 3rd and 4th spring in the front leafs and it dropped it about 3 inchs and it never bottomed out . So ill try that ..Ill pull a couple out of the rear to or get a set of those spring lowering shackles from cmp . One question I have ...What type of headers will fit this truck ?? Somebody told me you can sneak Camaro headers up in there ..Anybody know ?? This is with a stock frame mind you . So im doing mostly just safety things and light performance . Some stablizer bars might be in order ..I cant see these old trucks handling like a Camaro ..L.O.L.. My goal is to drive this Old girl on the 4th of July .My soon to be Ex pissed and moaned when I bought it ..Why you need another piece of Crap ?? Like my Camaro was Crap ..Them Fighting words ..L.O.L...Instead of worrying about my buying habits she should have been more concerned about her infedelity ..If your truelly not happy leave that person , Find yourself and then find another lover ..Theres no reason to cheat . And whats the Pay Off to cheat with a Married man thats suppose to be my friend ..A guy with a wife 2 little girls 8 and 9 years old who works at a Gas Station and Bairly makes enought to pay for the truck he is driving while his wife pays all of the bills ..The guy is a Fat boy to .. 325 pounds and my Ex is about a 100 pounds ..Think of the Mechanics of that one ... So on the 4th I thought it would be swell to role past her and give her the one finger salute when shes sitting by herself because the white trash buddy convinced his wife nothing was going on and stayed with her . Wow sorry for ranting guys but it felt great ..L.O.L... Hope none of you have to face such BS ..And if your thinking about Cheating ...DONT ..It hurts more than just her ..The Grass isnt any greener ...Peace Larry

7. Rock Arnold

Rock Arnold Member

Well then..............Life ..........anyways about that front end..i had the original front end when i was 17. lots of bump steer..if your going with that front end atleast get a steering stabilizer. With the camaro clip... the 56 handles great, actually hav out ran with a porsche in the hills of Idaho 90-110MPH and a Vette here in Texas off 35 (3 mile straight). So it handles well !

8. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

I got a couple of days to work on the old girl .The doors I blasted last fall had some surface rust on them from sitting a few months pluss some old Bondo that they hadnt even primed .So I took the doors outside and Blasted them .Boy Bondo is tougher than you think . The guy had Goobs of it on there ..I ened up taking my grinder and a wire wheel to it so I wouldnt burn up so much sand .Dont know why he had so much they just welded in a couple of patch panels . They look pretty decent but they had some surface rust under the mud .

[​IMG]

Then my Best friend called and asked if ild stop over to work on his Mustang ..He has a 2006 GT Drop Top .Beautifull car that he has won Best in Class at car shows with .He has done alot of custum work to it . The inside has lights he built into door panels and speaker grills but still looks stock .They all blink to the beat of the music he is playing ,change colors and it looks like a Disco inside at night .He does Avionics on Corporate jets and is a wizz with fiber optics and wiring He is about 2 hours away .. On the way home I stopped for coffie and started BSing with a Camaro guy at a gas station . He was driving a 79 like mine . I mentioned the 56 and he tells me his Dad has some parts in a barn that he would get rid of .So I follow the guy to his dads farm And he tells me what ever Junk I can use out there you can have ..All I could find was a Radiator .. Cool . He had it recored then the truck Blew up so he saved it .I didnt have one and they run close to $ 400 new so that was a good score ...L.O.L....Had a old straight 6 out there and some rusty 59 fenders to but I dont need them ..So I took my prize home Cleaned her up and Gave her a paint job ..While I was at it I painted the New gas tank for my Camaro ..My old one siped a little when I got over 1/2 a tank ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One advantage to being single again is that you can bring a gas tank and radiator in your living room for pics without getting Cried on ....L.O.L....

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  9. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

I took my hood and wire fed the holes for that front bar and Mudded her in along with a couple small dings ..I hate oraments and crap like that on a car they take away from the body and draw your eyes to them ..If you look at my 79 I removed the front side markers and Wire fed some tin in ..Doesnt it look alot longer and cleaner in the front ??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

People mentioned moving the gas tank to the rear frame ..The more I think about it ill have to do that ..I can get more room inside .. No gas fumes and get rid of the filler tube and clean up that body on the drivers side ..So this hole is gonna go ..

[​IMG]

I started on the rear fenders and finishing the cab corners ..One fender just had some dings on top and a few on the sides ..The other was bad news ..It was hit in the side and actaully tore the fender lip in 2 places ..I wire fed the tears and beat the dents out ..Problem was the metal was stretched and I couldnt get the body lines right ..I hadnt shrunk metal panels with a torch for years ..Everybody replaces Panels now ..So I had to relearn it ..L.O.L...I spent about 3 hours on that stupid fender shrinking it back Then another 2 hours mudding her But its looking pretty good and mostly just a skim coat on it ..A little more mud work and she will be done ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was on the old Ebay and found a Disc brake convertion kit for the I beam .It converts it so you have newer style Bearings ((The original wernt a Tapered roller bearing ))) , Front disc brakes and I can run Camaro style mags with a 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern instead of the 6 bolt ..Im gonna run a Camaro 10 bolt posi in the rear .I found these $35 cheaper else where but they didnt include the rubber lines ..I called around ..For Camaro rubber brakes lines ... $42.50 a piece ..Wow have they gone up ..So I ordered this kit ..$348 with shipping ..They have rear Tranny cross members for $39 so I got me one of them coming to ..

[​IMG]

So she is coming along . I roughtly counted hours on this project so far and Im close to around 300 ..Another 300 to finish ?? 600 ?? We will see ...Peace Larry

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  10. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

I finnaly found some inner fenders .The lack of them was holding me up .I sandblasted them and started to assemble the front clip so that I could start the body work on it .

[​IMG]

Its starting to look a little like a truck ...L.O.L...The Passengers fender was pretty much rock solid . Unfortunatly it was hit on the lower front part of it . Its giving me fits trying to get it back into shape . There are so many curves and bends down low there that need to blend together ..Its starting to come along thow . I figure down the road if Im not a 100% happy with it Ill buy a new one . Cheapest I could find is $425 pluss $150 shipping ..Hopefully when Im done with the Ex Ill have a little more cash ..

[​IMG]

I wire fed the holes in for the ornaments and the Attenna hole ..Boy is that a heavy front clip . I measured the ride height at the frame before and after putting the clip on .She dropped almost 2 inchs .

I put the doors on and got the body lines to line up . I pulled them back off so I could finish the patch panels that they put on .Its alot easier to work on them by laying them flat . I hate standing on my head while doing that low work

[​IMG]

Ive got the day off tommrow so Im going to see if I can at least finish the fender and the doors . Im still shooting for a cruise on July 4th ..It wont be totally done but I want it looking decent ..So I got me 3 months left give or take ..Its starting to pull together but we will see ...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010