Hey can I post on a 56 step side thats part Camaro ??

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Bobo, Jan 16, 2010.

1. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

have read and whatched all your post ,WOW you wont to do mine,HA! let me know when your finished,and may have some parts left over, i got a 56 short step side i would like to start some day, missing the wipper arms and all the heater controles and stuff,in bad shape ,but have started to collect some stuff for it

2. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

Sure I can do that ..L.O.L... Believe it or not Ive probaully got 350 Hours in this puppy so far ..Thats not counting looking for parts ..Thats right I have no life ....L.O.L.... No I enjoy doing it . I use to be a Body Man -Auto Tech ((( Mr Good Wrench ))) Now Im into Nursing part time ..Ya that was a BIG Change ..After almost 20 years in the Auto field I needed a change . When your young and going to College for Auto and Body repair you see yourself working on Nitro Burning Top fuel Dragsters or 10 second Camaros or 32 Ford Coupes ..But when you hit the work place you find out 99% of your work is like deer hits on Caravans ..It just gets boring ...The most rewarding car I ever helped restore when I was in the Bussiness was a 76 International Scout . This Old fellow got it for like his 30 year retirement gift .25 years later it was a Rust Bucket .It was a Bicentenial Eddition ..It sat at his Summer cabin Rotting till his family brought it in and asked if we could restore it in 6 months ..We took it down to the bone and had to cutom build a bunch of panels for it (( Nobody makes any )) When it was done the family brought the old fellow in telling him an excuse ..When the guy seen it in the shop he started talking about the one he had that was shot and how this one looked just like his when it was new .Then his daughter told him it is yours Pa !!! The Old fellow started crying ...Kinda like the Overhaul show .
    Anyway (( God I ramble alot )) ...L.O.L...I still need some parts myself ..I found 1 guy who has 4 trucks I gotta go see .. What parts are you looking for ..?? Please dont say front fenders because everybody is looking for them ..

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  3. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Bobo - The truck looks great. Wish I had the talent to do body work. But I'm better at putting them together instead of making them look good. Keep up the progress reports.

4. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

Thanks Gutted ...Im not the best at it but I can make them look fairly good ..Been out of the biss for over 10 years now and Ive gotten slower to .I have a harder time on flat panels but can be real good when it comes to curves or rounded areas ..They use to give me all the bike tanks and fenders at work because of it ..

Well for todays update ...This fender is the one on the far left hanging on the wall .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was hit pretty hard in the front . It was almost rust free thow so Im trying to save her ..Its coming along pretty well . I think one more coat of bondo and she will be good ..Or good enought till I can find a better one .The fenders on these truck rust real bad around the headlight .Its all open in there and crap like Wisconsin salt and dirt would lay up in that eyebrow part and destroy them ..So they are real hard to find in decent shape ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The doors, Front fender ,the filler underneith the back window and the cab corners got another coat of bondo today . I worked the fender and doors over but didnt have time for the cab parts . The doors are coming along nice . One more coat on the one then I think ill skim coat both doors below that big body line with light weight bondo and sand them out as a complete panel just to pull all of the work together nice and then I wont have to worry about shrinking and feathering so much ..One more coat in a couple of areas on the fender then Ill skim coat most of it to with light weight ..Theres alot of small pits here and there in the tin from ... Well 54 years on earth ..L.O.L....The light weight sands tons easier than regular bondo and will fill the pits in nice ..You can knock it down pretty easy with 180 grit and make her baby butt smouth .. I know alot of you know this stuff (( And probaully better at it than I )) but maybe it will help the Newby on his or her way ...Pay Day on Thursday ...Think Im going to order the Power Brake dual master convertion kit and the Kit for installing the 10 bolt Camaro posi rear end ..Im making a big pile of parts and when they all get here Ill be able to go crazy on the Mechanical side of it ..Ive got the 305 HO from a 87 Z28 . A Th 350 out a 79 Camaro with a shift kit in her . Rear Cross member ,Front Disc brake kit . So its getting to be a big pile . ...L.O.L... Peace Larry

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  5. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

Day off today and I got the disc brake convertion kit in ..I was also talking to a guy with a 57 . He said he took his 3rd and 4th leaf spring out of the front spring pack (( Theres 6 leafs )) and it dropped his truck 2 1/2 inchs .He said it nevers bottoms out . So I figured as long as its brake day it can be spring day to . I pulled the front springs apart and cleaned the rust off the surfaces .I them put a light coat of grease between each spring .I reassembled it and she was lower .I measred off the frame before and after . I got 2 inchs lower .I wonder where it will be after I drop the motor and tranny in Pluss rest of the parts ?? I saved my springs just incase . I think ill get a decent set of gas shocks and a sway bar .
    Onto the brakes .You have to pull all of your brake drums and backing plates off down to the bare spindle .

[​IMG]

I cleaned the spindle up good and hit her with some emery cloth incase there were any burs on it . You then take the caliper mounting plate and Install it on the spindle ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next theres a Bearing adapter that goes over the spindle and sets it up for the tapered bearings ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You pack your bearings and then just install the rest like a normal brake job .

[​IMG]

I painted my calipers just to make them look pretty with Hi Temp paint ..Im not sure how long it will last but we will see .

[​IMG]

The brake seems to drag a little much for me .I tried to compress the piston but it was all off the way in .Everything else is as they say it should be . I mounted the wheel and with the smaller tire than stock she dropped another inch .Sure was nice to see a chrome 5 lug wheel on her . I looks a little like a new shoe on a Hobo ...L.O.L..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So far Im not that impressed with this kit .The Outside bearing retainer Washer had to small of a center hole so I used the stock one .The new outside bearing retainer nut was the wroung size and wouldnt go on the spindle so I used the stock one .That shouldnt give me brake drag that I have .It got worst on the other side . When I went to mount the caliper I cant get the bolts all the way threw .Its almost like the holes were drilled a little off from where they should be . If I dont put the pads on I can run them threw and tighten them . But with the pads on I can start either one but when I try for the other it goes 3/4 threw but then angles up and wont let the caliper float . It was late so I hung her up till tommrow .

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  6. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

i enjoyed your little story of your self , ,i never was a body man ,but was a spray painter,custom plastic signs,for 20+ years and then went to work painting airplans,and some cars,bike gas tanks and hellment along the way, hadn't painted in about 15 years ,bought these projects to play with and now have had 5 heart bypasses and back surgery, so i keep saying some day,maybe this year, i am 64 and having fun,getting younger

7. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

Well you keep getting younger there Hogg . Ill be 51 in July and they havnt cracked my chest open yet (( And hopefully wont )) But I had 2 stents placed when I was 39 . Said I was the most healthy guy that they ever saw to have a heart attack .As long as it keeps ticking Ill keep sanding and wrenching .Been doing it since I was 15 . Cant see no reason to stop now .

8. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

Well I figured out the dragging and mounting problem . I went to Classic Performance parts Website . They sell either the same kit or one very very close to it . I down loaded the instructions for thier kit . They mentioned that on some of the Calipers near the piston area and the nib on top where the hose mounts that there might be some raised areas from casting youll have to grind off . I looked at mine and sure enought there was a raised casting line about 1/3 inch high on the piston area touching the mounting bracket just enought to goof me up . I disassembled them and cleaned up the casting with a die grinder . I remounted them and shes perfect now . I wish they would have mentioned that in thier own instructions . I called the company I bought my kit from and asked the Tech Guy if they had any problems with these kits . He said none that he heard of . I told him about my problems and he said he would send me new nuts and washers and make a note on the computer for future customers .He did say he would also make a note on my account and if I ordered again I would get 15% discount on my next order . I guess the squeakiest Hinge does get the most oil as my Daddy use to say . So if you ever do one of these kits Ild trial fit everything before You paint them ...L.O.L...

9. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

Wow its been over a month since Ive gotten anything done on the Old truck ..Been busy working and finishing the Divorce up ..Im final now ..Wisconsin law served we well and gave me Justice ..Kept my house and cars and it didnt cost me a dime ..The first one cost me everything ..Sure wont be a third ..L.O.L.. Well enought of that ...I got my rear end convertion kit from Classic Performance Products ..Everything in the kit looks great and ended up fitting very well so far ..This kit alows you to mount a modern GM 10 or 12 bolt Diffy to the smaller 56 truck springs . It comes with saddles that you weld onto the axle tubes , Top Plate ,new ubolts and nuts , Pluss 2 shock mounts that you weld onto your axle tubes . Its a nice complete kit for under a $100 shipped ...I like the kit ..When I ordered it the people were nice and polite .My only complaint is this .. I paid for it with Pay Pal over the phone and said I was all set . Im in WI and thier in Cally ...After 6 days I never got a tracking number or my stuff ..So I called ..They still hadnt shipped it out ..They said from the time you place your order till it leaves the door is 7 to 10 days ..Pluss add on how ever long UPS takes to get it here ..On the 8th day after placing my order I got a tracking number ..it was on a Friday . Seeing it was close to the week end UPS didnt get it moving till Monday ..I finally recieved it the following Monday ..Thats 17 days to get my parts after they were paid for ..Im not usaully a winer but isnt that a bit much ?? Anybody else ever had a slow shipping problem with them ? The parts fit top notch but now Im worried about ordering from them again ..So is that the usaul CCP or did I just get lost in the masses or something ??

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  10. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

Anyway back to the install ..My Diffy was from a 79 Camaro that sadly died from Cancer Caused by WI Salt .. Its a 10 bolt Posi with 273 gears ..The Stock rear was like 523s or something lower ..Figured I wouldnt like turning my small block at 5000 RPMs just to get 70 out of her ...L.O.L... I took the old Torch and cut the spring mounts off of her then grinded her smooth .I then removed the old rear end .

[​IMG]

After it was removed I mounted my wheels to the Camaro Axle and roled her under the truck springs .I did some wiggling and jiggling and measuring and then lowerd the truck down unto the axle while the front was supported by my jack .The brackets went on smouth as silk .I tightened the u bolts Lowered the truck rest of the way and there she was .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the mounting kit .

[​IMG]

Heres the shock mount piece . Theres 2 of them of course .

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2010