HF Purple Gun Settings ?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by olds403, Feb 22, 2016.

1. olds403

olds403 Member

Anyone have a setting they want to share on their HF Purple gun ? Will be shooting a single stage to redo my front spoiler. I will admit I have not used one of these guns before. The last gun I used was a Binks siphon type in the 80's. I figure I could not loose for $30 bucks. I don't really want to blow through a whole bunch of paint dialing it in. I will be shooting an acrylic enamel as that is what I have on hand. Its matched to the car already.

If there are other paints to shoot will try, but this is just touch up. Don't really want to blow $500 in paint and chemicals.
    Thanks..........

2. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

load it with water, get a large pece of cardbord, spray away unteil you get the adjustment the way you like . And know what the gun can do.knot much help ,sorry Back to the top for you

3. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

^^^this, but I'd use thinner since it's oil based

4. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Usually you can just fill them and shoot away. Just adjust the amount of air pressure...

5. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Gonna take more air pressure than you would use with a "good" gun. Just sayin'. I'd start with about 25-30 psi and go from there.

6. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used a purple gun for epoxy primer and it was ~25-30 psi at the gun, trigger was basically full pull, fluid was 2.5-3 turns off seat. You should not need much material to get it dialed in, esp for what you are doing.

7. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

I found that shooting a test pattern on the vinyl sheeting I made my paint booth with gave me the best idea of what it was going to shoot. I had 120 psi at the tank, 40 psi @ the water sperator & 25 psi at the gun.

8. typeLT73

typeLT73 Member

I just through mine in the trash can. I couldn't get it to spray a decent amount of paint out of the nozzle. I had a good pattern but couldn't get enough paint to cover. it was too light and it seems like the paint was dry once it hit the panel.

9. xten

xten Veteran Member

Turn the air cap 90°. Hang a piece of masking paper on the wall. Put thinner in the gun and pull the trigger, aiming at the masking paper, about 8" to a foot away. this will tell you how wide your pattern is. Adjust from there how you want it. When you get the width where you want it, look at the pattern. if most of the thinner is toward the outsides of the pattern, turn the air down. It's blowing the material out of the center of the pattern. Start with 25-30 at the gun. This should be a good starting point, and eliminate striping with good spraying technique and overlap. Oh, and don't forget to turn your air cap 90° back before you start to spray!!! Good luck!