Hid Headlights

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by hot72rod, Jun 22, 2016.

1. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

I recently purchased a set of HID headlights. After reading the instructions and reading a couple of threads on here. I'm wounding if the HID lights wouldn't benefit form using relays as well.

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You don't need relays but to have less stress on your headlight switch and have brighter lights then install relays.

I drove mine for 34 yrs without relays and just decided to try them this year. Bought the relays from Summit Racing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. hot72rod

COPO from what I have seen, you have the H4 lights. Do you H4's have a ballast?

The HID lights I have do.

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have no ballast. Now I see that you said HID.

5. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

HIDs use less amps so I don't think a relay would be necessary. They do draw a bit more when you initially turn them on so they may be dim or flicker, but once they warm up the amperage is about half that of a standard bulb. A relay might be nice to have so they're immediately on and bright though.

6. falloutboy

falloutboy Veteran Member

The "ballasts" provide the high voltage for the HIDs to fire and burn. Providing a solid and good voltage source is very very beneficial.
    So yes, a good relay setup with the other lights will benefit all around, look way better, and work way better for the distant future.

Whats kind of bulbs and reflectors are you using?
    There is a big difference if you actually want to increase the ability to see at night.

7. hot72rod

Not sure of the brand, but it was some that I picked up a couple of years ago.

8. falloutboy

I don't really care about the brand, I was asking about the type.

On the other hand, if you only care about the looks of it, than don't bother with my questions.

9. hot72rod

I'm not sure what type of bulb and reflectors it uses. All I have ever done on headlight is pop one out and pop a new one in. I'm open to suggestions, that is why I'm asking.

I did add relays to the standard bulbs on my 77 many years ago when I was using it as a daily.

10. falloutboy

Just post a pic of the bulb and the housing (from front) in which u want to put it.

For more info on that, I wrote a few posting about light output, pattern, difference between euro-spec and DOT-spec light and about HID lights and what to look for to get the best light on the road.

But in general, yes, do the relay thing again to provide the ballasts with a good stable voltage and see that the grounds are in good condition.

Bear in mind that you may have to alter the radiator support (headlight buckets) to fit the bulbs. ULMTZ8 (or so) made a good write up of his HID install.