High torque mini starters.

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Danz66ss, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Danz66ss

Danz66ss Member

Mini starters. Some are expensive' some are not. Some made in USA, most not. What starter have you had the best luck with. I like USA products of course, but if I do not have to pay $180 for a excellent mini starter, Id be ok. $80 to $180 is my range. I will have apx. 10.3-1 compression in a 383. Need one that has adjustable clocking as my Dougs Tri Y headers may tuck close to the block.

KingofThings likes this.
  2. biker

biker Veteran Member

I have this one from Tuff Stuff: https://www.tuffstuffperformance.com/i-24486241-gear-reduction-starter-18-1-2-6-hp-black-6772b.html
    Clockable, made in USA, very high quality feel to it.
    I had never heard of them, thought for sure by the name that it was Chinese, and almost didnt take it seriously because of that. Pleasant surprise when I found it was great quality. Easily clocked it, bolted on with the nice included 3/8 head starter bolts and haven't touched it in over 3 years. Whistles my 383 over without issue.

KingofThings and Danz66ss like this.
  3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

I've had a Tilton on my 427 for many years and had no problems with it.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I have a Titon starter on both my 1979 Z-28 with a supercharged small block with big tube headers And a 1981 El Camino SS 290 HP 350 with a set of "shorty" headers.With a Moroso Heat shield on both for many years of use,

KingofThings likes this.
  5. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

6. Danz66ss

Danz66ss Member

Whew...$300+. Nope.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have a Tilton on my 427sbc

KingofThings likes this.
  8. biker

biker Veteran Member

If a stock gm vortec starter fits with your headers, they are good too. And cheap.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. jvle95

jvle95 Veteran Member

I recently install a starter for a 1997 S10. AC Delco, part number ADO-337-1022, Summit Racing, $101.99. Works perfectly and is night and day from the original. It is much smaller too.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a Powermaster XS torque starter on my sbc in my car. I originally purchased it in 1998 for a 454 that was always hard to start when hot. That starter never hesitated a bit, in fact I drove home from Myrtle Beach SC towing a 30 foot camper without a clutch master cylinder and used that starter at the stop lights. With no clutch, I had to knock it out of gear as I approached the light that was turning red, turn off the engine, put it in first gear once the light turned green and turn the starter to get going again. It never hesitated pulling that crewcab, longbed truck plus the camper up to speed where the engine would catch up and go, then I rev matched through the rest of the gears and travelled on home. I expect you would have broken the cast aluminum nose off any stock starter with all of that weight on the starter.

KingofThings likes this.